Proof that DE doesn't work

There may be a downside to using DE at the highest levels in their feed on a constant basis. A very experienced chicken keeper from old BYC told me about a study of some birds whose management included the DE at the recommended 2% levels in their feed. Necropsies showed their intestinal tract was extremely dried out/dessicated and they attributed it to the DE and cited DE as a contributing factor in their deaths. Another study was just mentioned to me that linked the use of DE in the feed to internal laying as a contributing factor (probably drying out tissues)-I haven't received that link to the study yet. Those are obviously situations where DE was used at the highest doses in the feed on a regular basis. If I get the links, I'll post them. Just throwing this out there, not to down DE, which I still use in certain ways, but since I've never seen those studies mentioned here anywhere.

I used DE in that manner * not quite 2% in feed* for only the briefest time when I first began using it, but thereafter only dumped a couple handfuls in each open feed bag to keep things dry and kill any bugs that may have gotten inside. My main use for DE is in the litter under the roosts and in the straw in the nests to kill any bugs that may want to live there. It does a fine job of that and I go through a 50# bag in a year, using it sparingly in three coops. It's also used to dust broody hens and my crippled rooster who don't dustbathe on a regular basis. I've never had to use any poison for external pests, not yet anyway. For worms, I use chemical wormers about once a year, maybe it even averages out to less than that.

DE loses its cutting power when wet. Insides of a bird are most definitely wet, therefore, I can see why it would not work as a wormer.

I used DE from the time that I got my chickens. I added it to their food and spread it in places that they took their dust baths. A few months ago, my birds started dying. I assumed that the DE had done its job so I was very worried about disease. I called the Dept of Ag and they came out and tested some of my birds and took the dead ones for necropsy. My birds were FULL of parasites. I keep my coop clean. The food is in a raised feeder so they don't eat off the ground. Waterer is cleaned out every day and bleached once a week to kill any bacteria. My birds free range during the day so they are not spending all their time in an area where they used the bathroom. DE does not work once the parasites get into the bird. I will not be trusting the lives of my birds to it anymore.

Quote:
Mighty true statement there! We also use it for prevention of pests in food and hen houses, runs, etc. and it works well in Arizona's arid climate. There are many variables that can be involved and excessive moisture for instance render DE useless for us.....

As an internal cure for anything? I say likely not.

Quote:
Lack of grit? No, never heard anything about that in relation to parasites. Of course, my own birds have my gravel driveway in addition to living on a mtn full of rocks, so that has never been an issue here.

Today, I mainly consider DE as a trace mineral source and give my birds kelp, flax seeds and boss with their rations. 2% isn't much in the total scheme of things and I just do a dusting on top of each half bucket of food. Kelp is also full of minerals from the ocean and is very benefical too.

Last edited:
Today, I mainly consider DE as a trace mineral source

There are no more "trace minerals" in DE than you'd find in most any random handful of dirt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

The typical chemical composition of oven dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

The "trace mineral" claims are part of the sales hype​

Not directly related to `worms' this study on dietary DE on broiler performance doesn't reveal any exemplary `additive' value. Indeed, the research (searching for probiotics/mineral compounds to replace antibiotic growth promoters) indicated that ADE appears to negatively impact nutrient utilization. This was a study to determine what might be used with success as `probiotics' : http://docsdrive.com/pdfs/ansinet/ijps/2008/862-871.pdf

A
Preliminary examination on the utility of use in litter in preventing internal colonization when used as an amendment in combination with acidic Calcium Sulfate, or clay: http://www.poultryscience.org/psa08/abstracts/021.pdf

Research has shown that Salmonella can be prevalent in poultry litter, which can be a source of contamination for newly arrived chicks at the poultry house. Since this organism is a pathogen of concern to the poultry industry, 2 types of litter amendments were created and tested to determine effects on broiler growth, litter moisture and efficacy against Salmonella colonization. Litter amendments consisted of the combination of Acidic Calcium Sulfate (ACS) with either diatomaceous earth (DE) or hydrated sodium calcium aluminiosilicate (HSCAS). Litter samples were taken weekly from 5 areas in each pen and combined for determination of Salmonella counts. At 3 and 6 weeks postplacement, 6 birds from each pen were euthanized by CO 2 asphyxiation. The crop and ceca from these birds were tested for counts and/or presence/absence of Salmonella. Application of both litter amendments positively affected feed conversion and at 3 weeks postplacement the DE+ACS treatment did not have any birds positive for Salmonella. Efficacy of the litter amendments were varied in other treatments and further research is planned to fully determine efficacy on Salmonella and Campylobacter jejuni colonization.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom