1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Proof that hens don't read the owner's manual

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginasmarans, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    You know they have a mind of their own and do whatever they want to. To prove that point,I have 2 white leghorn hens setting at present. One is setting for the second time because the second hen decided she wanted to set on the first one's eggs just a few days before hatch day and ended up squashing all of the eggs. I didn't have the heart to break her up,so I re-set her. I'm watching her close and making sure she gets off to eat and drink. It amazes me at how perfect this process is. I think the first eggs were squashed because the shells were becoming more brittle(in advance for the hatch), and the second hen was just too heavy. By the time a broody hen reaches hatch day,she has lost alot of weight and the eggs are protected. You just can't think these things up and no way could it just "happen" by chance.

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow, a lot of people are having the " non-setter" breeds go broody. This is as you said they didnt read that book or someone failed to tell them.
    Keep us posted I would love to know how they do as moms.
    I have a white leghorn hen that has rooster ways at feeding time. What are the eggs you set them with?
    Best of luck

3. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Global warming. :|

4. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    The wisdom of the designer is proven in the beauty and function of his creation. [​IMG]

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I set one with marans(cuckoo)eggs and the other with mixed eggs(ran out of marans). I think these are the same 2 that set last year. They were wonderful mothers and I think they would have taken care of the chicks forever. I think I will band them this year so I can keep track to see if they set next year too. Funny thing is they set last year within weeks of each other,too.

I agree. Our Creater is wonderful and deserves all the glory and praise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by