1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Proper Disposal

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tyandmacsmom, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Tyandmacsmom

Tyandmacsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay, I have looked all over and come up short. When doing your own butchering (obviously for private home use), what do you do with the remains of the chickens that can't be used? I looked up the VT dept of Ag., and it said you must follow the law as to disposal, problem is, I can't find what the law says! What do you all do, or does anyone have any info on Vermont State law that I have overlooked on getting rid of remains?

Thanks
    Miranda

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    The usual methods are composting, burial, or bagging it up and putting in the trash for the landfill.

I doubt that your state would have any problem with any of those methods if the quantity is just from home slaughter. If you were to market birds or do custom slaughter for a fee then that would be an entirely different matter and your state may have limitations for on-site disposal as a business entity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by