Proper Feed Amount

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shoo80, May 7, 2008.

1. shoo80

shoo80 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Does anyone know exactly how much layer feed chickens need per day? They roam the yard most of the day.

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Provide ad libitum access to feed and water, the birds will eat to meet their energy needs.

Jim

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    i just keep my feeder filled and let them eat as they want

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Each layer needs app. 1/3 pound of feed per pay. If they are free ranged, this can be cut down some. It is a good ide to just keep the feeders full and they will eat what they need.

5. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    My hens free range all day and go into the coop at night. I keep my feeders full all the time. They will only eat as much as they need.

One time I had them locked in the coop for two weeks and they eat alot more feed than when they are free ranging.

6. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed them a certain amount that I've found them to eat during the day and remove when they roost for the night to keep pests (mice/rats) from finding food at night. I return in the morning just as they start stirring. I've just about got them exact as there is a tiny bit left over. My schedule for them is like this....

Day 1-All laying pellets
    Day 2-laying pellets/house leftovers
    Day 3-Chicken Salad lol (lots of different types of greens and just a little layer) sometimes worms/bugs too.

Repeat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by