Proper Handling of Mail Order Chicks

Dexter Dude

Hatching
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Rigby, Idaho
We finally received our order of 100 Texas A&M yesterday. This is our first adventure with quail. We have ordered day old and hatched chickens & ducks. Bought and raised turkeys and geese as day olds (we've also had our own parent raised birds). We also hatched out some pheasants that a farmer had killed the hen when cutting hay. So we have experience over the years with poultry in general. The chicks cam from the other side of the country and I was surprised we only lost 3 due to the rigors of shipping. We put them in a brooder with the mesh covered in DACB paper (unfortunately lost 2 that got wedged under the paper until we weighed down the edged to keep others safe), we got a quail waterer and feeder in the pen to use until they are large enough for the troughs on the out side, we added some sugar to the warm water to encourage drinking and give them more energy, we dipped all the beaks in the water so they would know where it was, we scattered feed on the paper so it would be available to all (it was run through a blender to make sure it wasn't too large of crumbles (30% gamebird starter crumbles)), the temp was regulated to 100* 2 days before arrival. After all this we still lost 4 more by this morning. Is there anything else we missed? The brooder isn't in a drafty area. Do quail need electrolytes or other supplements to help them get off to a good start. These quail are my 12 year olds project (I am more into the Dexter Cattle but still love my poultry). He has raised Boer goats for a few years in 4-H and has consistently won his showmanship class. He also has a trio of Royal Palm turkeys setting nests currently. He is hoping to raise large enough quail to sell jumbo eggs to the Asian market and meat birds to some of the restaurants in the area. He is a little heart broken that his efforts weren't enough to keep from losing almost 10% of his chicks so far. I know loss is expected with any poultry especially that which has to be shipped so far. What is the expected loss when it comes to quail chicks?

Thanks for your help,

DD

Last edited:
i will be watching this thread as this is a good question...where did you order your quails? thanks!

C&M Game Bird Farm in Maine is where they were ordered from.

I guess I was hoping for feedback on how others handle quail chick since my protocols were established with other breeds of poultry and may not be the best for quail.

Also any suggestions on growing large quail and/or eggs and where to acquire good breeding stock would be appreciated by this "greenie" to quail. I have to admit I was happy my son decided to start in quail since I had hoped to get some several years ago but had to move for work before I could get set up for them.
DD

Last edited:
C&M Game Bird Farm in Maine is where they were ordered from.

I guess I was hoping for feedback on how others handle quail chick since my protocols were established with other breeds of poultry and may not be the best for quail.

Also any suggestions on growing large quail and/or eggs and where to acquire good breeding stock would be appreciated by this "greenie" to quail. I have to admit I was happy my son decided to start in quail since I had hoped to get some several years ago but had to move for work before I could get set up for them.
DD
I ordered from James Marie Farm in LA. But I got eggs. Had a great hatch and they are huge birds. Send me a PM. I will not ship chicks because they don't ship well but I may be able to send you some grown birds that are now just starting to lay or eggs if you have a incubator. I'm in Sandpoint so we may be able to work something out with a trucker to drop them off. James Marie Farms has some of the biggest quail BARE NONE that I have seen or owned. ctually many claim to hjave Jumbos but these are the only thing that come close and I have purchased from a couple of people here.
These are the birds I speak of. If you are serious leave the others alone and go straight to the source

http://jamesmariefarms.com/

Back
Top Bottom