Proper Introduction/Emu update with pics

JK Farms & Sanctuary

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Santa rosa
Hi there, so I realize this is a large forum, mostly with chicken people --- while I have chickens, I see myself only posting in this part of the group... So I wanted to give you all a proper intro. My name is Kayla. My husband and I run our small farm in northern california. Most of our animals have been taken in as rescues. We are both herpetologist so we have an array of reptiles and upon our move into our 5acre farm, we have "collected" a few hooved and beaked ones. We are proud parents of 5 goats (Nubians & Fainting) 3 sheep, 1 gelded guard llama, 2 female potbellied pigs,several free range chickens (a big mixture of polish, silkies, reds, sex-links, white- laced, and a few I'm not sure about) Royal Palm Turkeys, 2 dogs, 1 cat, a house full of reptiles and some exotics and NOW 2 EMU'S!

I picked up my 2 emu chicks a few days ago, they are 2 weeks old and I am pretty sure I've got a male/female pair. The male is better with being handled, they settle down nicely and have even fallen asleep with me now so I am falling in love FAST! Right now they are in a pen in the living room. I'm going to keep them in there for a few weeks and give them outside play time to stretch their legs. I want to bond with them as much as possible. Then they will go in their outdoor pen.... They played with the hens today, very cute neck stretching looks at first then within a few minutes they were foraging together.

IMG_5968.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

male bulls eye?
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Hello, I'm new as well! I too have chickens and quail and yet somehow I only find myself reading and posting in this section...
roll.png

Well then, welcome. We look forward to learning with you. Some posters are breeders; some are owners of rescued creatures; I seem to be unique: there are a couple of posters here in Oz (where emus come from, you know . . . ); but I think I'm the ONLY one on the forum who has tame birds: I fed wild chicks until they were tame enough to eat from my hand. They are not fenced.

If you post pictures of the top of your chicks' heads, and ask Chickenzoo and Foulman nicely, they'll tell you if your chicks are an M and an F.

Supreme Emu
Rocky Gully, Western Australia

Hi! I am not an Emu owner, but hope to be one day so I will randomly check in on the Emu forums. I'm located in Solano County, and have Ancona ducks, Midget White turkeys, chickens (mostly Jersey Giant and Buckeye, but I'm getting down slowly to only Buckeye- my favorite!), blue + pearl guineas, 5 Nigerian Dwarf goats, 2 APHA horses, and 4 cows.

Welcome, and I can't wait to watch your little babies grow!!! They are SOOOO adorable!!
big_smile.png

Heres some more pictures, can anyone tell the sex from them??? I'm pretty sure I have a male/female as the male has a very evident bullseye. I finally decided on names: Jumanji (male) and Jurassic (hopefully girl)

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0029-1.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

Last edited:
I think Foulman or Chickenzoo are the most knowledgeable and can help with sexing, but I DEFINITELY see that bullseye on one of them! I know nothing, but I would have to agree with you (1 male, 1 female) based on what I see...

I LOVE the pictures!!! Wow I am so jealous, they are just so cute!!!

I have 8 Emu's all of which are tame. I hatched them all from eggs.

Anyway, from the photos it looks like you have 1 male for sure...and you might have two. At two weeks it's a bit early to tell....but in another couple weeks the patterns on the head should be e bit better to "guess" from.

Back
Top Bottom