Proper Terminology - Culling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Do you mean there were fewer and fewer slip ups? BR, you make huge numbers of spelling and grammatical errors, and you do it so consistently, (while calling other people ignorant) that I know it's not just typos. Everybody makes typos. So who do you blame for your poor use of the language?

BTW, these days, if a teacher does enforce discipline, they may very well be sued or fired for it.

I do wince at incorrect spelling and grammar, but mine's not perfect, either. I'm saying that there's very little point in nagging people about it on this, or any other forum, unless it's one devoted to proper use of the language.

I'm guilty of occasionally pointing out an error. Maybe I shouldn't do that. Maybe some folks are glad find out what the right word is, sometimes. Maybe they're not. I'll probably pont one out now and then, but I try really hard not to get carried away with it.

Do ya reckon we should ask nifty for spell check,soin' we can sort out the plain folk from the edga-macated ones.

Quote:
"pont" one out??? what does that mean?
lau.gif

Means I made a typo...like yours, below, your "favotite", and "succomed".
big_smile.png

Quote:
Or "killed", or "dead"....I agree.

OMG, the newspapers and newscasts are some of the worst.
And TV commercials, too.

How about this one, that we hear often: "A person died overnight.." Or "The robbery took place overnight..." "The accident took place overnight..." Really? I would have thought that these things occurred during the night, rather than continuing to occur throughout the entire night.

I don't expect everybody on a public forum like this to be as nit-picky as I am, but good grief, if a person can't speak clearly and correctly, or write clearly and correctly, what are they doing in a job that requires clear and correct speaking and/or writing?

Every time I pick up a newspaper, or watch the news, I can't help but think, "There's a job opening there for a proofreader."

Quote:
Most people have spell check on their computers. Some even have grammar check. They just don't use it. Those things aren't infallible anyway, but they help.

I just used mine to correct my spelling of "infallible".

Who's Nifty?

Quote:
Lite refers to a small window on a door, or by the side of a door. Correct?

As to culling, I believe that some people use the word properly, as I understand it. A chicken that is culled due to not meeting breed standard or being a lesser desirable rooster in the flock - may also be butchered for meat. A bird may also be culled due to being sick. A chicken may be culled from a breeding flock without being killed, if you pull it out of the flock and give it to someone who is not going to breed it.

I still call it cull a chicken if im going to cook it. Sorry if its not the right word but just to me thats the word i say.

also "lite" is also a DS
tongue.png

Last edited:
Thank your for pointing out my shortfalls. English was not my first language as I am a legal immigrant that was placed into fourth grade not knowing a word of it. I had ONE year with Sister B, the rest I was edga-macated in public schools as the tuition was too dear. Then too, when over a third of the local population are illegal alliens and if one needs to communicate with them almost on a daily basis, one has to use brocken English. Just try to order a McChicken or Chicken Nuggets or chicken salad, etc, and almost always receive the wrong change from a ten dollar bill, in our area, and you will soon see what I mean. She was the BEST teacher that I ever had and I thank her to this day. It is very obvious that throwing money at the schools does not work. So, I think that I will file a class action law suit against the local school district to FIRE any teacher who does not enforce discipline. Also, We should all demand that the Homeland Security and Border Patrol immediately deport all of the illegals for taking up our teachers' education time away from our kids and grandkids . Afterall, there are legal ways to immigrate into this country. I would guess that some of you, your parents, or your grandparents managed to immigrate Legally through Elis Island just like I did.

Last edited:
Quote:
Most people have spell check on their computers. Some even have grammar check. They just don't use it. Those things aren't infallible anyway, but they help.

I just used mine to correct my spelling of "infallible".

Who's Nifty?

Nifty is the administrator of this fine forum that you,I and many others post on. Will

Omg... this post kills me.....
lau.gif

I see poor grammer on here all the time and never say a word, as most of us are too busy to even check what we just wrote. Half of the time I have to go back and read my post and ask... did I write that?
hmm.png
It comes with computers so I don't let it bother me. Will.... you meen to tel me you aint going to ad somthin to that computer of urs and ficks the problm youreself?

Secondly... who cares about culling?? What is this like third grade?? First off we kill, cull, process, butcher, eat, or take birds to freezer camp and everyone here knows what they mean or what they meant to say.

I mean, your right but again... what does it matter? You've made your point and yet you bring it up again? People are going to use, what words they want to use... when they want to use them and who are you to tell them otherwise? Your right and I know it probably bugs some of you but then again we aren't perfect as I see a lot of things that people do or say wrong that I let go. The thing is, I use the correct term and it still offends me the way you came off, imagine what people think that sometimes may use the term cull and refer it to butchering?? I just think you came off a little strong... maybe next time think about who your going to offend when you post.

But hey... go on as like someone stated this makes awesome reading material.
This is better than the Young and the Restless... and I hate soap opras!
pop.gif

EDT: I had to ficks a couple gramer isues.
roll.png

Last edited:
BR, I had no idea that English was not your native tongue. I'm sure you're doing the best you can. I've known many people from other countries who's spelling and grammar was much better than most Americans. Perhaps yours isn't, because you have been here since childhood.

I was mostly responding to the criticism of teachers. You have no idea what restrictions our teachers are faced with these days. The public has done this, by suing over every little thing. The school boards have responded by placing so many restrictions that teachers are hamstrung. Add to that the ridiculous testing requirements now in place. They force teachers to "teach to the tests". This leave no time for real teaching.

Of course in many states, parents are free to home school if they choose. When we became dissatisfied with public schools, which I agree are very screwed up, that's what we did.

I just don't blame it on the teachers. They are NOT the top of the food chain, so to speak, in the education system. They are not free to act as they choose. If they were, the kids would probably learn a lot more than they do.

Maebee al jus mak up mie one spelins az I go. I bet I kan myspel az guud az enniwun. Wer wud wee bee if evirwun speld werdz tha saim wae? That wuld bea born.

Mie kumputar allreddy hade spelchek, I didden'nt evun hafto ad it. I jus had ta lernn tu uz yt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom