Props to the HovaBator Genesis 1588 w/automatic turner!

Yes, this Genesis has forced air. I set the Marans eggs at 4pm, and will set the CCL and Spitzhauben eggs at 10pm. I always give the Marans a head start (even under a broody) as they seem to take a tad bit longer!

We just purchased a HovaBator Genesis 1588 as well. I can hardly wait to get it going. Like some of you, we also have fluctuating temperatures in the house (using a gas fireplace). I plan to use it for the 1588 for the first, eighteen days, and then transfer the eggs to our other HovaBator Model 2362E.

Do you guys need a Hatch Record Spreadsheet for your record keeping? If so, check out this short blog; the link is in the second paragraph.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...hlings-tracking-spreadsheet-zbwz1503zkin.aspx

Interesting thread! I loved my 2 1588s I wish I didn't sell them. I just bought another HovaBator 1602N and an Incutherm Plus Thermometer/Hygrometer (best Therm/Hygro I've ever used) also bought another computer fan to make a fan kit for it.

We just purchased a HovaBator Genesis 1588 as well. I can hardly wait to get it going. Like some of you, we also have fluctuating temperatures in the house (using a gas fireplace). I plan to use it for the 1588 for the first, eighteen days, and then transfer the eggs to our other HovaBator Model 2362E.

Do you guys need a Hatch Record Spreadsheet for your record keeping? If so, check out this short blog; the link is in the second paragraph.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/home...hlings-tracking-spreadsheet-zbwz1503zkin.aspx
That's a good spreadsheet for basic tracking. I like to number each egg, so can tract fertility in different pens/breeds, so like to use a spreadsheet in which I have the egg number, the breed, any notes on fertility for each egg. I see that I might also want to note position in "bator'--does anyone think having eggs in the middle is too hot, compared to the sides in their Genesis 1588? this just dawned on me...and tomorrow is day 18...Too late, she cried, but maybe for next time? Does anyone rotate their rows?

this was start day, and I put all my eggs in row 2-7, then took out six duds at day 10, so moved all into rows 2-6. Does anyone rotate rows, and if so, how often? Every...4 days? 7 days? Just curious. Yes, I know this is not a still air "bator, but still curious...

I've never rotated rows. Forced air especially doesn't have hot/cold spots like an older one.

It is funny though, I've noticed my bobwhites typically hatch by row.

That is a great idea on keep track with the different egg types and breeds. Currently, we have two breeds, but I am going to get rid of our bantams. They are just too small for where we live in the country. The hawks are terrible. They have an enclosed pen, and we normally just let them out when we're out working in the yard or playing with our little boy. The thing is, we only have three bantams (one rooster and two hens). I would like their coop and pen for broody hens and their chicks. The hawks haven't bothered our bigger breed at all.

We don't rotate the eggs from one row to another during the incubation process. If you do, I'd say the best time would be when you're candling. One thing is for sure - this stuff is FUN!
big_smile.png

What humidity are you finding is working the best for days 1 - 18?

19 - 21?

Do you know what your house humidity is too?

I just followed the directions. With Tray 1 filled, the humidity reads out at 45-55 on days 1-18 and days 19-21 with the first and second trays filled to capacity, its around 60-65. Once they start hatching, the humidity goes even higher and I take out the little red plug. I leave the babies in there for 24 hours and they're totally fine!
1st hatch--97%
2nd hatch--94%
3rd hatch--100%!!!! Set 41 each time. On this last hatch, we had 35/35 hatch! Was so excited! Again, with zero tweaking. These are my own barnyard mixes, with eggs collected and stored in my kitchen, point down, for 0-5 days before setting. No rotating, no shifting, no cooler temps.
House is generally 65-70 degrees.

Hi all, I usually use a Brinsea incubator and keep my temps at 99.3-99.5. I'm going to be using my new Hova-Bator 1588 for the first time along with the Brinsea. Do you keep your temps at 99.3-99.5 in the 1588 as well? Or leave it at the pre-set temp? Isn't the pre-set temp 100? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom