pros and cons of an autumn hatch?

Perris

Still learning
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 28, 2018
Gower, Wales
One of my girls has gone broody again and I am undecided whether to break her or give her some eggs, so am seeking your opinions on the pros and cons of a hatch this late in the year. It seems unnatural. I expect her to start molting soon, so laying will cease either way I guess, but could it impact her ability to incubate and brood? And how do chicks hatching in late Sept/Oct generally fare in a temperate climate? Does shortening daylight impact their health or growth?
(Background info: First time she went broody (April) she was given three eggs and hatched two, both of which are 3 months old now. Second time (July), I put her in jail, and she resumed laying for about 3 weeks before going broody again. Chicks are raised with the flock, which is not penned.)

well the bad thing is if your using an incubator you will keep them in house or someplace you keep warmer, if a broody is raising them they should be fine, I had a hen hatch out end of Novemeber and stay with her chicks through February even though she had resumed laying and everyone was fine. Late hatches should be laying come spring

When does it Start to Freeze where you are Perris?
I've got a hens due to hatch late September. Usually it doesn't freeze here until mid November. In theory the chicks should have proper feathers by then and be in the coop with their tribe.
Assuming you get any hatch and assuming you get a female in the hatch you might get an early layer which can be handy. This might be a good thing depending on the egg cycles of your other hens.

most years it doesn't freeze as such; we get frosty mornings Dec-March and a cm or two of snow if we're lucky for a day or two. Rain, cold rain, is the principle feature of winter here.

Had a hen hatch in Jan/Feb...temps were frigid, way below freezing most the time.
Luckily hatch day was above freezing.
It worked out OK, but never again.
I think with your temps she'll be fine, just keep her dry.

Back
Top Bottom