Pros and Cons of Cornish

Some breeders do ship adult/sub-adult birds. A couple that I know of even do chicks. Cornish eggs don’t ship well. I only got 2 out of 17 shipped eggs and out of 18 eggs I shipped to @Molpet, 15 arrived intact and none hatched. So shipped eggs are a gamble.

I would join some of the Cornish groups on FB. That is how I found my trio. They were 5.5hrs away, but I was taking a business trip in that direction-ish. It took me 1.5-2 hours longer to get home from that trip because I went out of my way to get them. Unfortunately, the guy I got them from isn’t actively showing any longer. I’m looking into getting some white chicks next year from one of the breeders I know of in the FB group. If you want links to the FB groups I’m in, let me know and I can give you the links tomorrow.
Yes please. I checked the poultryshowcentral website and the breeder i could find was out of date

Yes please. I checked the poultryshowcentral website and the breeder i could find was out of date
I’ll get them to you tomorrow, if @Molpet doesn’t beat me to it. She is in those groups as well. It is easiest if I’m at my computer. I’m on my phone now. Word of advice, most breeders are winding up or done for the year, so don’t post asking where you can buy some Cornish. Those types of posts rarely get satisfactory answers. There might be the odd post about birds or groups of birds needing homes, but those have a lot of action on them. Look through the posts and at the locations of the breeders posting photos and contact them directly. I see you are located In Montana. Don’t know off hand of any breeders near you. Depending on how cold your winters get, the Cornish could have problems if they aren’t adequately sheltered from the wind. They are hard feathered so don’t hold heat well. Their combs and sticky legs are nice for cold though.

I’ll get them to you tomorrow, if @Molpet doesn’t beat me to it. She is in those groups as well. It is easiest if I’m at my computer. I’m on my phone now. Word of advice, most breeders are winding up or done for the year, so don’t post asking where you can buy some Cornish. Those types of posts rarely get satisfactory answers. There might be the odd post about birds or groups of birds needing homes, but those have a lot of action on them. Look through the posts and at the locations of the breeders posting photos and contact them directly. I see you are located In Montana. Don’t know off hand of any breeders near you. Depending on how cold your winters get, the Cornish could have problems if they aren’t adequately sheltered from the wind. They are hard feathered so don’t hold heat well. Their combs and sticky legs are nice for cold though.

I'm not looking for more birds until next spring, just trying to get my ducks in a row so I'm not blindsided next season.

Our winters get pretty cold, but we use lots of shavings and have spaces where more sensitive birds go in the witer so they're out of the wind and snow. Out of 10+ years though, we haven't lost a bird yet to the cold.

Back
Top Bottom