Pros and Cons of Ducks

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

One night at a bar in Seattle we were encouraged to try the local favorite shot.

They were called Duck Farts!!!
gig.gif

Ducks are awesome, and very gregarious!!! But, they are WAY more moody than a dog or cat, so if u raise only 1, that means no vacations for about 20 years. Most ducks are very succeptible to illnesses, which can cost quite alot to cure, which means less movies and other luxuries, and it will cost easily up to 300 dollars for a good danger proof pen!!!

Dont get me wrong, though, I LOVE EM!!!!

Noone mentioned Flies When you have all the mess you get flies. Here we hose out the duck house everyday. The smell would knock you over if you didn't Sandgnats. With all the damp ground you get sandgnats. (Don't know what you call em Noseeems, gnats but they bite) and they seem to love the duck yard. Having a kiddie pool is nice for them but for you no you have to clean it every couple of days or it turns green. Pros I love the duck eggs for cooking,and the pool water makes great compost tea for the garden.

I have a con! I tried raising 2 runner ducks (boy and girl) and, yes, they were very cute and entertaining. However, as they came of age, Donald wasn't content just wooing Daisy. He also tried mating all my hens (chickens) and drove them nuts. He would grab them by the back of the neck and hang on for dear life while they were squawking and struggling. He never got his way but he sure did try. I finally decided to give them away. I don't think I'll go the duck route again. I didn't like the mess they made. I'll stick with chickens - much easier in my opinion.

Diatomacious earth takes care of the gnat issue. I really haven't noticed an upswing in the amount of bugs. When I do see a bug, it is usually right before one of the ducks eats them
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL "He also tried mating all my hens (chickens) and drove them nuts. He would grab them by the back of the neck and hang on for dear life while they were squawking and struggling. He never got his way but he sure did try."
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom