Pros and Cons of Pelleted feeds?

When I got a new bag of a different brand of feed (switched from ADM brand because of the pork meal in it to Blueseal which gets its protein from soybeans) I found a full pellet among the medicated chick crumbles and it seemed pretty small and crumbled easily (not rock hard) so I don't see why my chicks when they are at laying age wouldn't be able to eat it...

Thanks for all the replies everybody!

-Anna

Quote:
I agree I went through much more feed when I was using crumbles. I mixed the leftover crumbles in with the pellets when I started them on pellets. They eat the pellets fine.

I got these chickens last summer at 14 weeks old & they had always had mash. I have since changed them to crumbles. Two days ago I got pellets, as that is all they have in Nature's Best Organic at my feed store ( wanted to try it) & I was worried they would not eat them. I put the last 20 lbs of crumbles (layena) in the feeder & put some pellets on top the trough to start mixing etc. I was surprised yesterday that all the pellets on top were gone and there was a little crumble under the feeder as if they were looking for more pellets. I never have any feed visible under the feeder. I think that the Nature's Best pellets are smaller than Purina, but it has been almost a year since I had Layena pellets, so I am not sure. I am just happy that it appears that they will eat the pellets without a problem. I seem to always go through 100lbs./month (12 chickens), never noticed more or less between crumbles or pellets.

Back
Top Bottom