PROSO?

fushalilly

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Rhode Island
I justed ordered PROSO from Mcmurray for my three black star hens. Is it any good? Have you tried it? How do you grow it? What does it do for the birds?

Hmmm, never heard of it but it sounds interesting! I will be looking forward to reading what others write. Now is that a warm area crop? This sounds foolish but why did you order it? now I better go find out what that is!

I have grown foxtail millet in my garden for several years. It is the "spray millet" that you can probably buy at your pet store as a treat for caged birds. Perhaps, proso and foxtail have similar requirements.

It doesn't take much other than some room to grow. Plant about the same time as sweet corn, after the soil and air temperatures have warmed. Foxtail millet will only take a couple of months to make a crop.

Harvesting is the tricky part - watch the neighborhood birds. When the millet is ripe, they will let you know. Don't hesitate, harvest. I once noticed the house finches feeding in the millet. I let it go for 2 days and they'd taken nearly all of it
sad.png

After that, I was quicker to respond. I cut it, tie it in bundles and hang it in the garage from the ceiling to dry. It is a very easy crop and even competes fairly well with weeds
smile.png

Steve

Back
Top Bottom