Protect feed from other birds question

hanneke

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2010
My chickens free range during the day. I also feed them regular layer feed as well as fermented feed. They prefer the fermented feed.
I read recently that wild birds should not be able to get to the chicken feed because they can transmit problems like lice/mites.
How do you prevent birds from getting at the feed? Even if I put it in the run they get at it since it’s open for the girls to get feed as well as get to their laying boxes.
Or is it maybe not an issue and I shouldn’t worry?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
One thing you can do is get a treadle feeder, that the chickens can operate but not the smaller wild birds. Another option is to feed the chickens inside the run, leaving them closed in the run for an hour, then let them out and pick up the food. Feed them again in the evening, locked in the run about an hour before dusk, so they can fill their crops before bed. Of course, they are exposed to the wild birds all the time in your yard, so there's not much difference between that and your run, really. So maybe it's just a matter of how much you want to feed to the wild birds.

One thing you can do is get a treadle feeder, that the chickens can operate but not the smaller wild birds. Another option is to feed the chickens inside the run, leaving them closed in the run for an hour, then let them out and pick up the food. Feed them again in the evening, locked in the run about an hour before dusk, so they can fill their crops before bed. Of course, they are exposed to the wild birds all the time in your yard, so there's not much difference between that and your run, really. So maybe it's just a matter of how much you want to feed to the wild birds.
That was my thought too. They are exposed anyway. They are in the run with food in the morning for about half an hour because daylight hits so early and I go there at 6.30. But I don’t think they eat. They’re just upset they are locked up and cackling at the door. 🙂

Or is it maybe not an issue and I shouldn’t worry?
They can catch lice and mites just from free ranging and having access to the natural environment.. the key here with regards to parasites is do a monthly body/skin check after dark with a flashlight and treat if needed. Other more serious issues like highly pathenogenic avian influenza, new castle disease, or Mareks.. which are not treatable are of more concern.

The main issue as far as I can see.. is feed waste to free loaders can get quite expensive.

What I don't do is hang other wild bird feeders to attract more to my place than are already here.

My own chickens.. some are (more) territorial and will chase other birds off if they see them.. others don't care.. Some of my chickens have ran away from the feeder when a daytime rat came to try and access it.

Some folks have much more song bird issue than I do.. and they resort to timed feedings.

They are in the run with food in the morning for about half an hour because daylight hits so early
*If* that run isn't rodent proof.. rodents *can* spread as much parasites and diseases as any other creature. They may be harder to detect than your daytime freeloaders.

Back
Top Bottom