protecting ducks from predators

Doszbvnp

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I am currently preparing myself to aquire 2 female ducks (probably Aylesburys) as pets/ egg providers.. I want them to be happy and I am looking at all kinds of literature and dvd's on the subject...but i cant find out how to protect them from cats! There are quite a few delinquent young cats in my neighbourhood and i need to know whether they will be at risk and, if so, how do I protect them?

The best way is to provide a run for them so they are contained at all times. Obviously this has to be big enough for them not to feel cramped too. Its the best way to protect them! I live in the city and have cats roaming around all the time! I keep my ducks secure in a run at all times so I dont have to keep constant watch. Also, if you do see a cat roaming your garden, then make loads of noise and have a hose on standbye ready to blast it!!! It wont the hurt the cat but will make it less likely to come back if you get him a few times. Other than keeping them in a run there is not much you can really do to keep a cat out im afraid. People will suggest tiger poo and all sorts but this wont work and Im not sure how you will get any. Blast the cat with water and really scare it!! Keep doing it everytime! If this isnt possible for you, if you give me a bit more of a background to where your ducks are Il get thinking of other ways for you. The pen/run will defo be the safest though!
big_smile.png

If you are only getting two ducks, then I would suggest an enclosure for outdoor activity as previously described, but better yet, an INDOOR enclosure, like a big wire dog crate for night time.

Not knowing your environment, weasels and minks are worse than cats. If this is the case, I would suggest putting hardware cloth (the metal kind) all around the cage with tie wraps.

I lost an entire flock of 6 in one night to a mink who got into my garage and into the cages (dog crates) because the openings were big enough for him to reach in and attack their necks and kill them. Ducks sleep towards the enclosure walls.

Fully enclosed is what you'll need, look for small holes.. cats can fit through some pretty small places, also watch for your fence holes so they don't reach there paws through. I own 5 cats myself so i know what the can get into.. of coarse your own cats are much different from ones just 'wandering' about.

Back
Top Bottom