Protecting flock from a pool?

Darguth

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
Hi everyone,

We're starting our first flock this year. I've just completed (or nearly completed, just final touches and a paint job left) our chicken tractor for them. The ultimate plan is to create 8 paddocks that we will alternate and rotate between garden and pasture, but that's a ways off (we just bought our home in December).

In the interim I plan on fencing a backyard for our dogs and parking the chicken tractor there until we can build up at least 1 of the 8 paddocks for them.

The only problem I see with this plan (aside from making sure the dogs adjust to them) is that there is a pool in the backyard. What should I do--above and beyond making sure it is securely covered--to make sure the chickens don't hurt themselves in it somehow?

Thanks!

In ground or above ground pool?

A few thoughts come to mind.
One of those alarms that sounds when the surface of the water is disturbed (only good if you're there to rescue the chicken)
Solar cover (looks like bubble wrap) that floats on the surface of the water (bonus is that it keeps leaves and debris out of the pool and warms the water, too). It might help prevent the chicken from sinking too much and maybe prevent drowning long enough that the bird could work its way out of the pool.
Plant a high, bushy hedge around the pool that the birds would be disinclined to fly over (might need to be combined with fencing if pool is an in ground pool).
High fencing around the pool area or high fencing around the chicken area. Seems like the only reliable method of preventing a drowning accident.

It's above-ground. I'm thinking I would keep a full winter cover on it when not in use (which won't be frequent). Would that be sufficient to keep a chicken out? I just don't know if they'd try to get up there and peck their way through.

But that is different. The birds can see the pond and recognize it as water and avoid flying in to it. However, I can totally see a chicken flying up to the side of a pool attempting to perch on the side but accidentally overshooting and landing in the water.

Ah ok I see your point
I also have several deep stone troughs around my field full of water for the Sheep and Geese which are above chicken eyeline
They do jump up to the edge to drink none have fallen in though.

I did notice once that one flighty bird took off near the pond edge and landed in the water which alarmed me she was clearly startled but manged to flap fly straight out again
Chickens can cope with deep water but I have never seen one of mine do this!
I think the important thing is that they have a shalow exit to get out otherwise once the feather are wetted they will probably sink and drown

0.jpg

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom