Protecting my flock! *-WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES-*

00BlasterResto

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
indiana
Well I will start from the beginning.
A couple of weaks ago my girlfreind let my dog (Dallas) out at 4:30AM, she stated that he made it several steps outside the backdoor when he barked a couple of times and a Raccoon attacked him. I awoke to my girlfreind screaming and what sounded like a dog fight, as I ran out the door in the underwear she was standing there with a big stick and the raccoon was completely wrapped around my dogs head. Dallas was shakeing his head yalping and walking backward into the back corner of the fence.
I grabbed the stick from my girlfriend and began to beat the coon off of my dogs head, on the second or third hit I knocked him off of my dog, but the coon immediatly jumped up and was right back on him. I hit him probably 8 or 10 times, breaking the 8' x 2''+ stick four times in the battle.
There was no trash in my backyard and he was have had to scale the fence, I currently have my baby chicks in a back room and the coon was apparently at my back window looking for chicken dinner. This cost me over $100 at the Vet. and he tore Dallas up pretty good, needless to say this has made me very unhappy and of course this means war.
Fast forward 2 weeks, I borrowed a little .22 from my cousin that I keep handy. Last night me and Dallas went out to put the chickens away, as we approached the coop his hair stood on end. He ran around the back side of the coop and came out chasing something whiteish, it was dusk and happened fast. I was pretty sure I saw the critter run in a tree.
My first worry was Dallas, this dog is my best buddy and has already been hurt recently. I screamed his name and he followed me running back to the house. I burst in the back door and grabbed the .22 which I had strategically placed.:
lol.png

When I returned I couldn't see well through the tree line, I decided I would check around a bit and make sure it was gone. I walked around the tree and saw nothing, but as I started to walk back past the tree and out of the trees I heard a hissing. I looked down and it was hissing and showing me its teath for about 5 feet away. I stepped back, unholster the .22, cocked the hammer and with no hesitation put a single .22 round into the possums left eye.
It was a well placed shot and a humane kill. I don't usually go after varmint, but I will not have my pets attacked.

Guess which one is the most chicken.
317bd5w.jpg

*GRAPHIC IMAGES BELOW*
These pics were taken first thing this morning, it was dark last night and raining.
This is where she hunkered down hissing at me.

11qo2e1.jpg

The shot, seems to be a direct hit to the left eye. It was very quick.
nd1myh.jpg

*FOLLOWING IMAGE IS EXTREMELY GRAPGIC*
PLEASE BE ADVISED!
I did not realize this untill this morning when I went to bury it. Although I hate to see it, I am glad they did not end up a future problem.

xe0wg1.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to see anything killed, but you definately did the right thing. Racoons and opposums are deadly to the chicken flock and carry disease. Your poor dog!! I'm surprised he's not afraid to go out let alone chase another varmit!! Glad he's ok.

as sad as it is that's just life but your rite they would have been a VERY large problem later
I have a basset hound who's my best bud and that coon would have never gotten out of the yard it would have been dead even if I had to choke it to death LOL

Hey, do what you have to do to keep your flock safe!
thumbsup.gif

Our dogs killed a possum in our backyard a few weeks ago and it had 2 hairless babies in its pouch too. My husband took the body off into the woods behind our house and I felt horrible about the babies....I know there was nothing I could do about them and they would just end up being another problem...but I still felt bad.

We had to shoot a opossum that was trying to get our guineas early this summer. Raccoons can be really tough; be glad your dog didn't meet up with him in a creek! Lots of hunters can tell you about dogs that have been drowned by coons!

I don't blame you one bit! I sure hope you get that raccoon that attacked your dog....Possums are such ugly creatures......I'm sure they serve a purpose in the echosystem.....Just not in your yard!

Good job!

This is a little off topic but you have a beautiful dog! You did the right thing...anything attacks my chickens and it is in trouble. If anything or anyone attacks my dog and they are in a whole different world of trouble. My dogs mean the world to me. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom