Protecting New Build From Droppings/Urine/Parasites

smoknz28

Songster
Mar 7, 2012
Central Virginia, USA
Chicken coop and nesting boxes. Protecting from the weather elements and bird droppings/urine/parasites?

My coop wood is pressure treated and I'm awaiting for the wood to dry out before I either stain or paint it. With regards to this, I'd like to know what those of you who have been there and done that have done for your unfinished pressure treated wood to protect it from the weather elements? Is there a particular product you can recommend, like a wood sealer, that you have had good success in using? Any other advice is very welcome.

As well, I'd like to protect the inside of the coop, where the chickens will sleep and the nesting boxes. I want to make my cleanup easier to deal with and to not allow the droppings and urine to set in on the unfinished wood. I'm thinking to use epoxy on the wood....but definitely looking for advice in this area.

No matter what is used to protect the wood, I do not plan on putting my birds in the coop for about a week until the vapors have had enough time to dissipate.

Appreciate any advice/recommendations.

For the inside, consider Black Jack 57 - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/black-jack-rubr-coat-57-for-your-coop-floor.75145/ Doesn't have to be on all surfaces, but general recommendation is on the floor and up a foot or two, to protect from poop moisture and splatter. So far I haven't seen any nicks or scratches even after using metal scrapers and rakes on it.

Outside I just have outdoor paint. I don't have any experience with curing time on wood though.

Painting treated isn't the end of the world because it is a surface treatment. Stains won't take because the treatment materials are supersaturated into the wood so the stain won't absorb.

As aart said, treated wood won't be ready for stain for a year. That being said, I stained the inside of my coop with semi-transparent and haven't really noticed an issue. Just remember that the chickens don't care what the finish looks like

Ours was likely built with pressure treated and not sealed (definitely not painted), but that was 15-20 years ago and I suspect that was before they made pressure treated lumber safer aka not as good.

Painting treated isn't the end of the world because it is a surface treatment. Stains won't take because the treatment materials are supersaturated into the wood so the stain won't absorb.
Right.......and paint could peel off if applied to a 'wet' surface.

Okay got it....so, don't bother treating the pressure treated wood for at least a year. As for the interior of the coop, I can go ahead and apply either a urethane or as pointed out, Black Jack 57. Still weighing which way to go on the coop interior. It would seem that the urethane would be better as it will be slick making my cleanups quicker over a rubber surface. Not sure how much of a difference it would make really though.

Back
Top Bottom