Protecting the flock from a hawk and eagle.

Mommy Melly

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
We have had an Eagle kill one hen (kill but left behind) injured our rooster at the same time. He has since recovered fully
smile.png

We have also had a hawk take one of the chicks. They have tons of trees and cover. How do we fully protect them from these birds of prey?

I can still see them stalking about
sad.png

Thanks
Melanie
smile.png

I would suggest possibly a scarecrow or maybe a chicken friendly dog
wink.png
Or for something to better fit the budget, low lying shrubs. My pulleys managed to escape a chicken hawk today by going into shrubs.

Run fishing line tree to tree making it more difficult for them to fly down.Tie some mylar ribbon to the lines.Might deter but never 100%

Quote:
Yes if you aren't going with netting overhead (think snowload if you decide to go this route and buy heavy duty netting if needed) then I recommend giving them hiding spots. Here are some of mine that save the lives of my hens every day:

59997_dscn0800.jpg

59997_dscn0797.jpg

59997_dscn0789.jpg

There is still a risk of BOP attack if they are determined. But it sure helps for them to have some cover I have found. (These are old pics and my chickens had just been rained on in these pics which is why they look soaked.)

Last edited:
Had trouble from a hawk today too...thought it had gotten one of my girls because I couldn't find her. The other 4 were huddled together in the corner by our stairs under a lilac tree. I started taking them to the coop when I saw Millie wedged between a flower pot and the stairs. I was so relieved. I was on a conference call for work and had forgotten to put the phone on mute when I started yelling frantically for her. My co-workers were amused - here she goes again the crazy chicken lady!! Whenever I let them free range I am constantly looking out the window or running out to check on them. It's pretty scary when you see that hawk swoop down. I am going to try the scarecrow. I have one I put out for Halloween so hopefully it will help.

Quote:
The same thing happened with me!! 4!! Of my chickens were huddled together and the fifth one that was out had been missing! I thought she had been taken and so I begun to carry my traumatized chickens to there coop when the Sandy came running out from underneath a small shrublike flower! All of them survived this time
smile.png

The only way to fully protect your birds are to keep them in a coop with top netting. This, along with tin around the whole outside of the coop. This will protect them from ground and air predators. Top netting from the air predators and the tin will protect them from the ground predators. A raccoon will still kill your birds if they are able to reach through your ground wire. Even 1" chicken wire will not protect your birds from raccoons. They will grab your birds through the wire if they are hungry enough. They will not get to eat much and you will find the bird dead the next day pulled up next to the wire. They will be back the next night. I hear alot of sad stories from people who think that free range for thier chickens is a good thing. This is just a free meal for any preditor in the area. You need to either protect them or not care if you lose them. I am sorry for being sort of blunt on this subject but it is the truth. All preditors love chickens.

Get some fishing wire and some shiny things like CDs and foil. String the fishing wire across the run and add the CDs where you want them. Here are some pictures of one of mine that I set up:

98815_trapp_002.jpg

98815_trapp_001.jpg

I have this annoying hawk that almost killed one of my hens (she made a recovery) and it kept him away since last month!

and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
All the above are good choices. We put a couple of those fake owls out in the yard. We put one out by the coop on a small utility pole and one towards our garden where the girls like to! Also some one told me to take a couple of old pie tins and string them up. Haven't done that yet but plan too! Darn chicken vultures...dislike them!!

Back
Top Bottom