Protection dog for flock

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
My flock has been wiped out by a recent break in where the thieves broke into my garage and left the door open.

The fox then decided to pay a visit and finished off the job. Out of approximately 20 birds of various breeds only 2 remain.

I have lost silkies, ko shamos, old english game and aseel breeds.

I am determined to start again and will be putting the loss behind me. I am interested to know what kind of protection dogs can be kept with chickens ?

Some people are recommending central asian shepherd dogs (alabai /alabay dogs) as the most suitable breed, but i am open to suggestions.

So sorry for your losses. That's terrible. 😟

As for a dog, the first thing I'd concentrate on is making their coop, which I gather is your garage, varment proof for humans and predators.

Do you have a run or do they free range? A lot determines what type of dog is best for your situation.

There are so many opinions on dogs, and LGD (livestock guardian dog) you can google and learn all about the various ones bred for guarding livestock. Without knowing your situation, I will only state mine aren't considered official LGDs, but they sure do the job and never, ever have hurt a chicken. They just are that way and took no training. Mine are a border collie and corgi, but there are many breeds who would also do the same and possibly would need training. Two cats also help.

Good luck!

You don't need an attack dog. Any dog that barks will scare burglars away because a barking dog wakes people up.

You need a dog that barks. If your chickens free range you need a dog that will stay close to home. You need a dog big enough to appear menacing, so 30 pounds, but depends on the build. Predators are looking for lunch, not a fight. My border collie kept predators away and he was no prizefighter.

Get a dog that you like and aren't afraid of.

My dogs sound alerts while my chickens free range during the day(the chickens have a secure coop and run at night) and share a fenced lot (purebred basset hound and a red bone mix) Our fence is under 4 foot tall which allows the chickens to fly in and out at will during the day.

I have an Alabai. She actually prevented a car burglary a couple of months ago by barking and waking me up at 3:40 AM. During the day she follows my chickens around and protects them. When the barn cats try hunting chicks she runs the cats off into the woods. At night she's quiet and vigilant, watching and listening for evil

Absolutely perfect dog

So sorry for your losses. That's terrible. 😟

As for a dog, the first thing I'd concentrate on is making their coop, which I gather is your garage, varment proof for humans and predators.

Do you have a run or do they free range? A lot determines what type of dog is best for your situation.

There are so many opinions on dogs, and LGD (livestock guardian dog) you can google and learn all about the various ones bred for guarding livestock. Without knowing your situation, I will only state mine aren't considered official LGDs, but they sure do the job and never, ever have hurt a chicken. They just are that way and took no training. Mine are a border collie and corgi, but there are many breeds who would also do the same and possibly would need training. Two cats also help.

Good luck!
X2!

Back
Top Bottom