1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Protection from raccoons?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickfluff, Apr 3, 2009.

1. chickfluff

chickfluff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    I am completely new to having chickens! I just ordered 4 chicks, which will come in about a week and a half. I have already finished the chicken tractor they will live in (sorry, I don't have any pics yet! [​IMG]) but there are lots of raccoons in my area. I'm worried one will try to get to my chickens. Does any one have any suggestions for protection?

Oh, and my tractor is an A frame tractor, if that helps.

And I'd like to avoid electric fencing, because I'm worried I might shock myself, or worse my chickies!

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    What kind of wire are you using? If you are using chicken wire the name is deceiving and is not pretator proof. Here I only use the chicken wire on the outside of stronger wire or chain link. This keeps anything from reaching in during the night.

How old will the chicks be? They will need to start out in a brooder.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    you might try using chicken wire and then some other type o ffencing around the bottom like the wire some people use for goats. people call it different things in different areas but like hog wire, goat wire. also do you have any tin you could put around the sides just at night and then remove it during the day? thats what i do for my tractor.

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Hardware cloth works great because the coons can't reach their paws through it and grab the chicken.

5. chickfluff

chickfluff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    Quote:I was using half-inch hardware cloth for the wire. I've heard that's pretty good. And yes, don't worry, the chicks will be in a toasty brooder![​IMG]

6. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    just make sure the wire is tight enough so they can't reach in. Also make sure you have secure latches on all of the doors.

7. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Raccoons are very smart, clever animals and will find a weak spot if there is one. If you have so many raccoons in the area, you might want to consider "thinning their population", as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by