1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Protective Cockerel-What a Guy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Sep 3, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One of my Buff Orps has a mild case of bumblefoot in one foot, which is bandaged. Today, I noticed her bandage trailing along behind her and went to pick her up so we could redo it. As soon as I picked her up, my 19 week old cockerel fell into step with me. He walked with me up the 9 steps to the deck, where we have a built-in bench. I sat down with Ginger in my arms and Dutch hopped up right beside me to watch what I was going to do with Ginger. He just stood right beside where I was seated and calmly watched. I reached over to pet him and he didnt even flinch. He let me pet him and watched us rebandage Ginger then he hopped down and walked back to the steps and down. Guess he was concerned about her, not really sure, but I've never had a rooster do that before. Suede nor Hawkeye ever came up on the deck. They always stopped at the top step-they leave the treat raids to the Girls, LOL. I'm not sure what he would have done if she raised a big ruckus, but so far, I'm extremely pleased with Dutch as our new flock leader. He has the very best of his wonderful daddy in him. Here's Dutch.
    [​IMG]

Edited to add pic...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    What a sweet guy, watching over one of his ladies. I love stories like this. It helps change the " mean rooster" stereotype.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What a nice young gentleman. Looks like his mama taught him well. [​IMG]

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    LOL thats so cute! [​IMG]
    Finally someone mentions a roo that doesn't like trying to hurt people, or his girls.

5. speckledhen

If Dutch can be half the rooster his daddy was, I'll be thrilled. So far, he's been wonderful. You just never know how a rooster will be when the hormones start flowing; I was almost holding my breath, waiting for something negative from him, but so far, he's everything I could hope for. His little brother, Mace, is about three weeks younger. Right now they get along. Hopefully, when Mace begins mating the girls, they'll still get along, LOL.

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Awwww. What a cute thing for him to do! I hope he continues to be that way. My roo was so sweet and then the hormones kicked in and he got a little testy. With steady reminding who is boss and hormones leveling out he has become a sweet heart once again.

7. speckledhen

Today I went to get the mail, which requires me to leave by the driveway gate and go to a different street. As soon as I was back inside the gate, I looked up to see Dutch running down the driveway to meet me. He's so much like Hawkeye, it's spooky sometimes. [​IMG]

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    How sweet! [​IMG]

9. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote:kinda like a teenager of the human sort.. unfortunatly it lasts years.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by