Protective netting specifications and sources

TSH16

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
Williams/Grand Canyon, AZ
I'm looking to expand my run area for next Spring and am looking into netting for aerial protection. (This area is predator heavy so need all sides protected). Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Cost is definitely a consideration so I can't throw $ at the most heavy duty netting, but don't want to use something that won't work either. Also, does obscuring the visuals of the chickens help, ie, using a darker net. This would be for an area of about 30×40ft. We get crows and, apparently, hawks although I've never seen the hawks. Appreciative of any suggestions on net specifications and sources , thanks.

@rosemarythyme has good info on netting.

@TSH16 would be good to know......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600550595475.png

The netting that many of us use on here is this one: https://pinnonhatch.com/Poultry-Sup...y-Protection-Netting/2-heavy-knotted-netting/ They have different opening sizes and weights (since you mentioned cost is a factor, you may consider a lighter net, especially since snowload isn't going to be a concern), but the 2" heavy seems to be the most popular on here.
Any hints on how to secure the netting at your posts? I’m hoping to drape it from post to post and not have to build a wooden frame up high.

Any hints on how to secure the netting at your posts? I’m hoping to drape it from post to post and not have to build a wooden frame up high.

Not sure how your run is set up, but mine is chain link. On the taller side it was simply a matter of adding cross beams and then draping netting on (easy).

On shorter side we had to create a higher edge for the netting to rest on. For the 4' tall side of my run I used 6' U-posts and ran tension wire across the top of the posts to create a roughly 6' tall boundary around the run. You'll also need some support in the center to hold up the net - in my case my coop serves that purpose, along with some cross supports on the other half of the run.

coopnew1.jpg

Hello, we recently got chickens and live in an area with hawks, eagles, raccoons, mink etc. We used the string technic across the yard outside. I hope it’s going to work! It’s bright yellow nylon so highly visible. We have a raven family living nearby that have been showing some interest! I’m wondering how much area should be covered by the string?

Attachments

• F77B305C-489C-4B24-81FD-62038672410C.jpeg
    F77B305C-489C-4B24-81FD-62038672410C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom