Protein boost needed? I'm confused

bekachickenborn

Chirping
Jul 17, 2016
Eggs? Meat? Sunflower seeds? What do you give your girls to boost protein? I think I may have one in molt, which is surprising in July? Maybe I'm wrong about that though.
One of my girls is losing feathers on the back of her neck (I'm assuming molt) and I suspect she may be eating eggs. I don't know if these are signs of molting, boredom (others pecking her?) or protein deficiency. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Oh dear, you need to work out if she is eating eggs because when they get into that habit it's almost impossible to cure so need to nip it in the bud quickly if she is.

I give scrambled eggs when I want to boost protien if they are sick etc. my go to pick me up is scrambled egg, mixed with some cooked rolled oats and some of their regular feed. The rolled oats they love and they feed the good bacteria in the crop etc so they multiply so it works like a probiotic but I don't have to give them dairy or buy probiotic powder. (I know everybody does but as dairy is not natural in their diet and so doubt they have evolved to digest I always wonder how good it is to give it to them regularly)

What do they normally get feed wise? How much room is there in their daily exercise run?

I have one always molts on her neck but it's never just on the back, it's always right the way round.

Last edited:
Oh dear, you need to work out if she is eating eggs because when they get into that habit it's almost impossible to cure so need to nip it in the bud quickly if she is.

I give scrambled eggs when I want to boost protien if they are sick etc. my go to pick me up is scrambled egg, mixed with some cooked rolled oats and some of their regular feed. The rolled oats they love and they feed the good bacteria in the crop etc so they multiply so it works like a probiotic but I don't have to give them dairy or buy probiotic powder. (I know everybody does but as dairy is not natural in their diet and so doubt they have evolved to digest I always wonder how good it is to give it to them regularly)

What do they normally get feed wise? How much room is there in their daily exercise run?

I have one always molts on her neck but it's never just on the back, it's always right the way round.

Thank you! I've just noticed the behavior yesterday. Today I put the golf balls in and added a dish of oyster shell to the coop (as the shell remnants in the nesting box seemed thin). Hoping we can stop this problem.

I feed them layer feed. They generally will get a treat of some produce everyday (kale, grapes, watermelon) Maybe I'll treat them to your recipe instead. They are about a year and a half old. This just started right after I started enclosing them at night after two of their sisters got taken by raccoons. Wondered if they were bored... Mysterious birds.

I noticed a problem w/ eating eggs and also thin egg shells right before a molt. Not sure if a coincidence or not BUT ...a poster suggested hanging a "curtain" in the nesting box and this totally stopped the egg eating - bizarre, I know but I think it has something to do w/ them believing their eggs are more protected / secure when they are "out of sight" w/ the curtain.

As for increased protein, I've given eggs, nuts - UNSALTED (peanuts are the least expensive so I usually go this route), flax, any kind of unsalted seed, leftover ground beef or turkey (from the dog children's breakfast/dinner), soy, and edamame.

Increased calcium: egg shells, oyster shell, shrimp/lobster shells - I bake these to get them crunchy and then break them up.

Be careful with grapes. I know the seeds are not healthy for / contain toxins harmful to dogs - not sure they are safe for chickens.

I noticed a problem w/ eating eggs and also thin egg shells right before a molt. Not sure if a coincidence or not BUT ...a poster suggested hanging a "curtain" in the nesting box and this totally stopped the egg eating - bizarre, I know but I think it has something to do w/ them believing their eggs are more protected / secure when they are "out of sight" w/ the curtain.

As for increased protein, I've given eggs, nuts - UNSALTED (peanuts are the least expensive so I usually go this route), flax, any kind of unsalted seed, leftover ground beef or turkey (from the dog children's breakfast/dinner), soy, and edamame.

Increased calcium: egg shells, oyster shell, shrimp/lobster shells - I bake these to get them crunchy and then break them up.

Be careful with grapes. I know the seeds are not healthy for / contain toxins harmful to dogs - not sure they are safe for chickens.

Thanks! Maybe I'll put some drapery up.
1f609.png
dumb question...does one need to cook the meats prior to feeding them to the birds??

Heat will make them loose feathers especially in the warm summer months like this a recommend that you feed them meal worms because they contain 50% protein I feed mine meal worms when they molt and sometimes I spray poultry proctector spray in case it's mites making them lose feathers and not molting hope this helps

Heat will make them loose feathers especially in the warm summer months like this a recommend that you feed them meal worms because they contain 50% protein I feed mine meal worms when they molt and sometimes I spray poultry proctector spray in case it's mites making them lose feathers and not molting hope this helps[/quote

Thank you. I just gave her a good check over. No signs of mites and she looks quite healthy. I'm convinced this is molting or at least a partial molt. I gave them some cat food and I baked some nice meal worm Block this morning for them!

Back
Top Bottom