Protein content or other science fair project ideas?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ollienina, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ollienina

ollienina New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    I really wasn't sure which category to post this under, but my 9th grade daughter needs some help on a science fair project idea. We need something pretty simple, because I am of little help, and her command of the English language isn't the best (adopted just 4 years ago from China), so that is our basic background.

We have 8 chicks that we started at various ages just this past March.

One idea was to compare the nutritional benefit of free range to caged eggs to name brand like Eggland, but I have no clue how you determine the nutritional value of a specific food. If it is something you have to send to a lab, there probably is not enough time.

We had also considered seeing if there was an increase in egg production with the addition of treats like a can of tuna, but her teacher wanted us to chart each chicken's production. They all share the same dog house for laying and several eggs look like, so I'm not sure I understand why we would need to know each one.

I've read other ideas on here about the strength of the shell but I don't know how you would test it without wasting a bunch of eggs.

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Jerri

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

if you google it, you can find many websites that tell you the nutritional values of backyard chickens vs battery hens. as for the experiment, she is probably thinking that the results will vary, so she wants you to average the result. you can also try the flavor, and texture of your eggs vs store bought eggs as a fun experiment.; goo luck!

3. Try messing with their calcium levels, and see how that effects eggshell thickness.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I deal with science fair projects every year usually as some sort of an advisor. Chickens will be difficult to work with owing to rules / regulations protectng vertebrates from undo harm. These rules apply to all schools in all states. Doing anything that involves nutrition is potentially stressfull. I suggest investigating treat preferences or looking into what birds will do for a specfic treat. Such can be done even when otherwise keeping all birds otherwise under similar and safe conditions.

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Oh, the treat idea is a good one!

What about trying to treat-train the chickens? Our "older" ladies come when I call them, because I treat trained them. The "younger gals" haven't yet figured this out, despite having the older ones to explain it to them. I've often wondered if it's because of pecking order issues or if the younger ones truly are dis-interested in me as treat provider, as they tend to watch the rooster for treats not me.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Could be many things. Ideally birds would be experimented on one at a time so they do not interfere with each other. Also, experiment needs to be kept as simple as possible. Only eight birds is a small number so design of experiment might best be served if all birds ultimately exposed to same treatments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by