Protein Percentage

Paulup

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
St. Tammany, La
I've ordered my first batch of Cornish X from Welp and expect them this week or next, but I cannot seem to locate the recommended feed. My local stores have 16% flock/lay, 18% game bird starter, or 30% turkey starter. From what I've read here, everyone recommends 20-24% for the Cornish X. The 30% protein is cheaper then the 16%, so I'd rather not mix them for 23% unless it is necessary. Should I go with the 30% or should I be mixing feeds?

I'm also all ears for any other advice you all might have. I took the time to read every post back to October looking for tips and whatnot, but I'm sure I missed plenty.

-Paul

Your best bet is to find a local feed mill within an hours drive. Most mills require 500 lbs... which goes fast with meat birds. However when doing this your going to get a better feed as it's fresher... and cheaper than retail. Most mills have broiler mixes already on hand and have a ingredient chart for the mix.

Worse case situation... just go with the turkey starter and at about 5 weeks of age you can drop them to 16%. If the 30% is cheaper than I would feed this to them straight through.

Thanks Jeff. There is a feed mill close to me, that might custom mill me some feed(qualityfeeds.com) but I wouldn't have a clue what to put in the mix. Any suggestions?

Here's what I get made. It is 23%. I've had very good luck. Price is pretty good as well.

16513_broiler_feed_recipe2.jpg
[/img]

Back
Top Bottom