protein too high?

catecorsaut

Chirping
Apr 18, 2024
Sacromento, CA
so my chicks are just over 8 weeks old and i’ve been feeding them modesto milling organic chick starter and grower. i am worried the protein may be too high for them. i know people will lower the protein when the chicks reach the growing age. protein is at 22% right now. i do know some people say to switch to a lower protein grower feed and i’ve noticed the chicks have runnier poop recently. i still have a lot of the 22% feed and i was going to feed it until they reached laying age. should i switch feed or will they be okay?

Attachments

• IMG_5879.png
    IMG_5879.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 69
so my chicks are just over 8 weeks old and i’ve been feeding them modesto milling organic chick starter and grower. i am worried the protein may be too high for them. i know people will lower the protein when the chicks reach the growing age. protein is at 22% right now. i do know some people say to switch to a lower protein grower feed and i’ve noticed the chicks have runnier poop recently. i still have a lot of the 22% feed and i was going to feed it until they reached laying age. should i switch feed or will they be okay?
22% protein should be safe for all chickens, of all ages.

Higher protein feed is usually more expensive than lower protein feed. So anyone that wants to save a little money, switches to a lower protein feed as soon as they think the chickens can stand it.

The minimum protein level for young chicks is higher than the minimum for older chicks, and that is higher than the minimum for adult layers. But 22% is nowhere near a maximum for any of them. (I can't give the actual minimum for each age, because it depends on various details of which amino acids are in the protein of the feed. But the simple number is enough to show it is not dangerously high.)

As regards the runnier poop, sometimes that is caused by chickens drinking extra water in hot weather, or eating wet things as treats (example: watermelon or cucumber.) If that is not happening, runnier poop might indicate a problem, or it might just be a normal variation you hadn't seen before.

22% protein should be safe for all chickens, of all ages.

Higher protein feed is usually more expensive than lower protein feed. So anyone that wants to save a little money, switches to a lower protein feed as soon as they think the chickens can stand it.

The minimum protein level for young chicks is higher than the minimum for older chicks, and that is higher than the minimum for adult layers. But 22% is nowhere near a maximum for any of them. (I can't give the actual minimum for each age, because it depends on various details of which amino acids are in the protein of the feed. But the simple number is enough to show it is not dangerously high.)

As regards the runnier poop, sometimes that is caused by chickens drinking extra water in hot weather, or eating wet things as treats (example: watermelon or cucumber.) If that is not happening, runnier poop might indicate a problem, or it might just be a normal variation you hadn't seen before.
oh wow thank you! i do give them veggies especially watermelon during the day so that definitely helps thank u so much!!

they also have grit and probiotics currently
Those are probably not causing any problems.

Providing grit is good.

I would consider probiotics optional: not harmful, but not helpful enough to notice any real effect.

If the probiotics are in the water, I would make sure they also have a source of plain water (nothing added to it.) The same goes for any other thing you might want to add to their water: provide plain water as well, so the chickens have a choice.

(Exception to the previous paragraph: if you are providing medicine in the water, like Corid to treat chicks for coccidiosis, you would need to provide medicated water as the only source of water, so they are forced to drink it.)

Those are probably not causing any problems.

Providing grit is good.

I would consider probiotics optional: not harmful, but not helpful enough to notice any real effect.

If the probiotics are in the water, I would make sure they also have a source of plain water (nothing added to it.) The same goes for any other thing you might want to add to their water: provide plain water as well, so the chickens have a choice.

(Exception to the previous paragraph: if you are providing medicine in the water, like Corid to treat chicks for coccidiosis, you would need to provide medicated water as the only source of water, so they are forced to drink it.)
interesting thank you! i have little drinking cups attached to a bucket and then a small water dish for them. both have supplements but they don’t really seem to understand how the drinking cup works.

Keep them on 22% protein feed. As they're growing they utilize all available protein for there proper growth. This includes muscles, bone, brain, blood, and organs.

The only time to utilize lower protein due to cost is when there at a year old. At that time there functions and health is at it's peak.

All chicks that get there needs met grow up to be strong healthy birds.

Avoid giving them any treats in there growing phase.

Keep them on 22% protein feed. As they're growing they utilize all available protein for there proper growth. This includes muscles, bone, brain, blood, and organs.

The only time to utilize lower protein due to cost is when there at a year old. At that time there functions and health is at it's peak.

All chicks that get there needs met grow up to be strong healthy birds.

Avoid giving them any treats in there growing phase.
the only treats i give them is fresh veggies and fruit and sometimes dried solider fly and mealworms. i should stop giving them those?

Back
Top Bottom