Protruding Esophagus

Poppy-the-hen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
I was giving my hen a casual examination just now and noticed that her esophagus was protruding outwards, above the crop area. I'm not sure if this was the way she was standing or not but when I felt another hen's hers was not like that.
Her crest isn't looking as red like a healthy one should and I know that's a sign that something's wrong. She's also only really just recovered from wet pox and still has a tiny bit of a runny nose.
Is this neck thing a symptom for something or am I just being paranoid? I have no idea.
Thanks to all who answer :p

Can you get a picture? I've never heard of this before, so I'm curious. If she were mine, I would probably cull her if it is a problem with her esophagus and not just her sitting weird or something. Sorry about your girl, I hope its nothing!!!

She's one of three and part of the family so culling is not an option
Yeah, I hope its just the way she was positioned and nothing is stuck there or something.

I went out just then and felt it again. It's still sort of 'sticking out' at the bottom a bit but she's not in any pain when I feel it... I think it must just be where her neck arches or something. It probably was just the way she was sitting then... :)
Sorry I can't get a picture because my camera has no battery left :-/

Back
Top Bottom