Proud new crazy chicken mommy!!

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined.
thumbsup.gif

Well, guess what! This is the craziest thing! I went down to the chicken coop to give some treats and take out the little ones for some one on one time, away from the big meanies....but they had no animosity whatsoever!!!

Brownie, my main chicken, started showing signs of laying...for the first time ever! And the rooster and other hen started digging a nest for her...and laying down next to her...I had the new chicks out, running around the coop, and none of them paid them any attention at all!! Integration is turning out fantastic, and I may have an egg soon!

But it was so cool...it was like the rooster and hen were attending a birth...I'm so in love:

Last edited:
Oh, and Kaelinstorm, I Do want to keep my Roo!! He's super sweet and so far very good with the girls...I'm just worried my flocks a little too small??

welcome-byc.gif
your not alone! we are all bitten by the chicken love bug!

I aquired mine when my Momma hen was a visting stray about 2 - 2 1/2 months ago.. We thought we just had a chicken who got lost on her Free range explorations and My feeling bad Fed her.. she kept comming back every day. every morning she'd be at my front stoop looking for food.

well I had no clue she was looking for real estate and move in.. well I discoverd her Choice in a place to live

UNDER MY SIDE PORCH!!!!.. when On the morn of july 9 I went out the side door to walk my dog and she attacked him.. I thought nothing of it. Till a few hours later when I go back out that door again.. and I am stop dead in my tracks by Our Chicken friend (by now we had been calling her chick chick) well Chick chick was at the bottom of my stairs showing her now 10 lil chicks how to eat!!! i was floored
th.gif
ran in and got my hubby and kids and he told me then n there to find a way to secure them all under the porch. so i did.. I was expecthing him to have me find them all a home. as he's not a animal person.. he will tollerate them.. but the pets we have are MY responability. so I figured these will not be staying. well I discoverd she had 2 more unhatch eggs and a friend told me to hold out a day or 2 more before I toss them. even thou hubby was Convinced they were duds. I'm glad I didnt.. cause Monday the 11th.. I went to discard the eggs and saw a pip on one. so i left it. and by the end of the afternoon monday.. Chick #11 hatched. ( monday July 11th we got number 11 LOL)
well The next day after we found the orginal 9 he suggested we just keep them all if I want. now 3 weeks later, I built our porch into their temp coop.. I have been collectiong free wood so i can build them a hen house.
I wont be keeping all of them.. as before he told me we could keep them all.. I promiss a lady one at our local store. and I decided that I want to hatch some Silkies next spring. and so I"m going to Adopt out some.. and only keep mabey 4 of the baby's and i'm hoping once they are old enough to Sex. I can adopt them out to BYC members.

Back
Top Bottom