Proud New Mom with Questions!

animal quacker

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
Hi everyone, I am a proud new mom of six Pekin ducks. My husband and I live in Colorado where winters are harsh. We built a suitable shelter for the ducks and put them outside yesterday at a little over five weeks old. It is Mothers Day here today and the temperature dropped down to the lower 40s. Is it okay that I placed the heat lamp from their brooder in their new home with them? Can it be left on in there all of the time or will that cause issues? Also, is it bad to visit them and give them treats at night? I do not want to attract predators.....

Congratulations on the new ducks. I've never had Pekins, but northern Iowa winters are pretty harsh, and I'm surprised every winter how little it bothers the ducks and geese (now, the chickens are a whole other story!).

Previous advice about heat lamps all sounds good to me. I brood my ducklings indoors until they are fully feathered because using lamps outdoors makes me worry about the risk of electrical fire (Guess I don't worry about burning down my house, huh?).

I use the irresistible lure of food to get free-ranging ducks inside for the night, but once they are locked in to their wood and hardware cloth-wrapped shelter, there are no treats for the night.

Welcome to BYC where you will find plenty of kind, generous folks who will be willing to offer advice and opinions on everything and anything.

Back
Top Bottom