1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

providing grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hellchicken, Oct 12, 2011.

1. hellchicken

hellchicken New Egg

Oct 12, 2011
    As I'm fairly new to chicken keeping, I'm still not sure of the best way to provide my mini flock of 4 with grit. they have a pen which is all dirt now so I'm wondering if they pick up enough when pecking around. I have put some grit in a bowl but they just tip it out. Is it better to add it to the layers mash which I feed them on?

2. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I put my grit and oyster shell in a bowl too and have no issue with them tipping it over. Maybe try a larger livestock bowl?

3. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I just have 3 right now and tried a "no tip" bowl stolen from my rabbit... they tipped it. Now I just scatter it in their pen.

4. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Quote:We have a large flock and mix our own grit. Small flock I would use a commercially prepared grit like Red Cross. I generally think of this as pigeon grit. I do not offer just plain oyster shill. It is calcium carbonate primarily and not balanced. We offer grit as follows:

Take an empty bleach jug. Cut a hole in the side about halfway up large enough to accommodate a chickens head and nothing else. Put your grit in it and set it in a corner of the run. Tie a piece of twine to the handle and run it up the corner a ways. Tie it off so that the twine is tight. If the jug gets knocked it will move but not tumble over. Cheap, easy, replaceable and best of all it works!

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    I don't like mixing stuff. Seems they pick through and make a mess looking for the stuff they want.

I'd keep it in a separate container.

As far as keeping it from tipping over, there are several ways that can work. Tie it down, hang it, nail it to a wall, put a heavy rock in there, etc.

6. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I put mine in a glass fish bowl in the corner of the coop, and toss some pellet feed on top occasionally just so I can be sure they know where it is. They have never tipped it, and they seem to use it when needed.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't provide grit for my chickens because they free range and I know they find plenty of grit on their own.

I do provide oyster shell. I have a rabbit feeder like this mounted to a wall in each of my coops for the oyster shell:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by