Providing Oyster Shell Properly

sammyh312

Chirping
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Another thread got me to thinking. Like grit, feed, and scratch (combined with regular feeders), I liberally sprinkle fairly fine grade oyster shell about the run and it seems to be ok. A buddy of mine piles it in one corner. Which way is best, or is there another way all together?

Chicken.Lytle :

I keep a PVC pipe with an open U bend hanging from the wall. As they eat oyster shell, more fills the U bend.

That is a great idea!
clap.gif

Well, I had a great plan where I would keep a bowl filled from the bag in the galvanized trash can. But the trash can rusted through, and rats got in. When I went to lift the bag into a new can, the bottom burst.

So my oyster shell is in a big pile near the feeder. The eggshells are fine, so I guess it works!
jumpy.gif

that reminds me of when i was a kid having to tend to our horses every day. we kept a lead water pipe hanging on the wall by the oat sacks, and when u went to feed, you beat the bag with a pipe till the lumps in the bag stopped moving. pile of dead mice in the bottom of every bag.

Chicken.Lytle :

I keep a PVC pipe with an open U bend hanging from the wall. As they eat oyster shell, more fills the U bend.

Do you have a photo?

Thanks,
Kim​

Back
Top Bottom