Providing water during extremely cold winter

Paula word of warning on the chain link. Where the doors meet the frame raccoons can get in and kill the ducks and geese. I know you have some chicken wire at the bottom, but since the framing is arched it gives enough opening space to allow them to crawl right inside.

Bhonkers, LOL I know what you mean. Going from 2 to 30+ is crazy. I should have your screen name. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone else do it.

I have been looking at the 20 gallon black polytubs vs 5 gallon heated buckets for those on house property and am thinking of using a large horse water trough with a de-icer for my free range group. Strategic positioning by water outlets where it will get the most direct sunlight is another consideration I am pondering greatly. Do you guys offer water in your overnight housing?

Here's a weird coincidence.... yesterday, my sweet neighbor gave me a heated 2 gallon bucket as a surprise gift. I think it will work nicely for my ducks in their coop. I love my neighbors. :)

I do give my geese water in their house at night. It's an 8 quart bucket three quarters full. We insulated their house pretty well and will be blocking up one of their three windows when the freezing temps hit here. I'm sure the bucket will freeze over night but we will not get as cold as you will in the winter and I am hoping it will be just a scrim of ice that they can break themselves. It is our first winter with them so I really have no idea how things are going to go.
hmm.png

chicken wire was put in to keep little ones from excaping. I'll get that fixed with some hardware cloth.
wink.png
It looks to be a bad winter and the preditors will be hungy.
sad.png

Thanks for the heads up
hugs.gif

welcome, raccoons can squeeze into very small holes, they are similar to cats in that nature. Be sure to block the ground level and the top too where the frames come together. The rounded pipes make excellent entry holes where they meet in the corners.

For winter in Northern WI, we have 5 gallon heated buckets for all geese and ducks that is changed daily. Then I set out rubber tubs for bathing and I usually do that at least every 3 days for bathing depends on the weather. I then leave it out for about 30 mintues and then dump them so they do not freeze to solid rocks.

I offer water in their over night pen but not in their house.

I'm lucky in that we can use pens and not have to worry about any large preditors other then dogs.
It allows them to come outside and enjoy the weather before I get to let them out to pasture.

psue, what do you have in your pens? Is that bark or wood shavings? It looks like it stays nice and dry (although that could be just from the lack of rain
wink.png
).

Last edited:
I put a water heater (like one for a horse tank) in my biggest kiddie pool when it starts to freeze.Then I empty and refill about every 3 days. I have been doing that since I have had my geese and it has worked great every year.

Back
Top Bottom