PSA: DO NOT BUY OMLET CHICKEN RUNS

Yes, it's helpful to attach the Eglu outside the run, though I modified that as well. I consider the Eglu and 6' run to be their coop. As such, I hardened it with HC, protected with clear tarps and made sure no mice can get in at their food is inside.

I got Omlet's kit to attach the Eglu and run, but did not like that the opening is small. I wanted to keep the larger door. So, I figured out a way to do that as well. (As I said, I have a lot of time on my hands.) When the door between the coop and run is shut, the coop is both predator and mouse proof. I can take more pictures and show you what I did if that would help.

View attachment 2469683
Can you tell me how you got the hardware cloth to stay?

Yes, it's helpful to attach the Eglu outside the run, though I modified that as well. I consider the Eglu and 6' run to be their coop. As such, I hardened it with HC, protected with clear tarps and made sure no mice can get in at their food is inside.

I got Omlet's kit to attach the Eglu and run, but did not like that the opening is small. I wanted to keep the larger door. So, I figured out a way to do that as well. (As I said, I have a lot of time on my hands.) When the door between the coop and run is shut, the coop is both predator and mouse proof. I can take more pictures and show you what I did if that would help.

View attachment 2469683
Can you tell me how you put the HC on it???

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss. This is great info for me, since I was just considering buying an Omlet run. Good to know that anything they can stick there heads through is a threat. I've never considered it to be a concern during the day.
Your hens losses will save lots of lives, thanks for sharing, and again, I'm so sorry this happened. :hugs

I like how you set yours up. I have the same coop as you do and I have three runs of varying sizes and I knew buying it I was going to have to hardware cloth it too. But structurally I like it and I liked that it could be taken down and moved relatively easily. I am now wondering if I should change the way I have my setup, we have our coop inside and it definitely cuts down on the space in the run 🤔.
I have the same coop and run. 3 years no issues and the other day a mink got in even with the HWC. It’s winter so I have tarps covering it too. The double door for me is what I am trying to figure out. How do I make it safe with those gaps? And you did wash panel with with HWC? That makes more sense. Please share ideas about the doors. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom