1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Psycho Robin

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tgblldog70, Apr 8, 2012.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We have a psychotic female robin[​IMG] that keeps slaming into our bay window, I've done everything I can think of from closing the blinds, putting Sydney's big dog stuffed animal looking out the window, having gabby (real dog) charge the window, it will not deter this bird, she started it yesterday and did not stop until the sun went down. What would cause this to happen, there is nothing in the room that screams come nest in here. My window outside is now all marked up, please give some advice or stories of your psycho bird episodes, I'm going bonkers with the bang bang bang[​IMG], she is not flying full force she is sitting on the coop that is stationed under the window and flying up from there.

TIA Koren

2. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    My guess is that he can see his reflection and thinks it is another male in his territory. You can try taking a sheet of aluminum foil and crinkling it up and then smoothing it back out. Tape it up on the window from the inside-it may be enough to block his reflection. He will probably just move to another window though. You can also make a whitewash solution with comet or ajax (some powdered soap) and sponge/brush it on your glass on the outside. Hope you find a solution! Good luck!

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    they make decals to put on your window as well.
    It's just like others have said. He sees his reflection and thinks the invader needs to be driven out.

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    You need to break up the window reflection from the outside, where the glare is happening (on the outside surface of the window). You can buy decals for this, or for a more temporary solution you could put cloth, netting, whatever you have handy to make it so that the robin won't see its reflection. They are very territorial right now because it's their breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by