PT roosting boards?

Speed

Songster
12 Years
Mar 20, 2011
The Berwicks
I'm trying something new in the coop. Winter is coming and I want to swap out my tree branch roosting sticks with something a little wider that their feet won't get cold. My idea is to make a square roosting station so to say. I'm hinging one side to the wall and the other side will be held up with chains from the ceiling, thus when it comes time for cleaning I unhook the chains and it swings down out of the way. I have lots of wood scraps laying about so I'd like to just use that. Would it be ok to use PT (pressure treated) deck boards for the roost boards or should I just use regular lumber?

I would think thats a good way to go...2x4 on its side what a lot use but the deck board should be about the same size and weigh a little less. Jmho!

I have a lot of pt lumber in my run and such with no problems. However, I'd be a little wary of using it as roost myself. I think if you use that, you might want to paint it for a protective layer, just in case (would make it easy to hose off when needed to).

Thanks for the input. Ended up using some 3/4" x 5" pine boards that I found in my shed. I can't remember for the life of me when and where or for what reason I got these boards. LOL All I know is they were just the right size. I cut a slight (less than 15 degree) angle on the face of a 2x4 and used the sliver that I cut off as a spacer to angle the boards on the frame. Sounds silly but after I get it hinged to the wall and hang the chains on the other end it will have a ladder affect and the boards will be level. I'll try to get some pictures after I get it all put in.

I would not use pressure treated wood for a roost. In the first instance, there's no need for it and PT wood is more expensive. But mostly I would be concerned that since chickens spend so much of their lives standing on the roost the chemicals in the PT wood would irritate their feet.

They recommend that you wear gloves yourself when you're working with PT wood. If it's not a good idea for you to touch the stuff while building, it can't be a great idea for chickens to stand on it more than half of their lives.

Back
Top Bottom