PT vs NPIP and effects of positive test

You have had some terrible experience with disease in your flock - unusually bad, it seems to me.

Like @Kiki, I agree your bird likely has an infection and should be treated if you plan to try to save her. I also think its HIGHLY unlikely that infection is PT - but given your experiences with poultry diseases thus far, I can understand your concerns.

Gladdened to read you are following a quarantine practice - if you don't mind the intrusion, do your neighbors have sick birds all around you? I find it difficult to imagine having so many poultry illnesses in a short period of time if one isn't actively swapping birds with other flocks, and maintains good quarantine when obtaining new birds - unless the surrounding area is diseased, and your birds are being infected by the "locals", whether mosquito-born, wild bird species, etc...

You have had some terrible experience with disease in your flock - unusually bad, it seems to me.

Like @Kiki, I agree your bird likely has an infection and should be treated if you plan to try to save her. I also think its HIGHLY unlikely that infection is PT - but given your experiences with poultry diseases thus far, I can understand your concerns.

Gladdened to read you are following a quarantine practice - if you don't mind the intrusion, do your neighbors have sick birds all around you? I find it difficult to imagine having so many poultry illnesses in a short period of time if one isn't actively swapping birds with other flocks, and maintains good quarantine when obtaining new birds - unless the surrounding area is diseased, and your birds are being infected by the "locals", whether mosquito-born, wild bird species, etc...
1) Pox was mosquito born... had to let that one run its course. No pop ups in a year.
2) Lice wasn't until wild birds nested in a crack in the roof of our coop. Or could have come from neighbor guinea fowl... their flock has lice too. Pretty prevalent out here in the country with so many chicken folks and Livestock around us. I Routinely clean and use Elector PSP to keep in check.
3) Coccidosis is common disease and I know is deadly, but we didn't lose any to it... was treated the whole flock when one boy showed symptoms. Not sure how that was introduced and that was almost 1.5-2 yrs ago when we moved to out new house. No signs since.
4) Infectious Coryza was never introduced to our flock as we culled during quarantine and notified the 4h kid we got him from.
5) A busted egg inside an older bird got infected from EYP (egg yolk peritonitis) which commonly happens when egg breaks inside a hen. Treated with antibiotics. Just had one person in vet group scare my by saying she had salmonella (keyboard diagnosis).

We are doing our best at biosecurity. PT was something I never heard of, but when we wanted to start breeding I was seeing it all over the place as far as NPIP certs... I wanted to educate myself. We have not had any disease in OUR flock in approx a year. Had birds since early 2019.

I would just go ahead and start the process of getting tested for NPIP. At the end of the day, it has to be done to be certified anyway. I'm not sure why there's any hesitation. Unless you are trying to sell sick birds and want to fly under the radar. I highly doubt you have PT in your flock. I'd be most concerned about the Coryza. Only way to know is to test though.

EYP isn't contagious. It isn't a disease. So no need to worry about that affecting your outcome.

I would just go ahead and start the process of getting tested for NPIP. At the end of the day, it has to be done to be certified anyway. I'm not sure why there's any hesitation. Unless you are trying to sell sick birds and want to fly under the radar. I highly doubt you have PT in your flock. I'd be most concerned about the Coryza. Only way to know is to test though.

EYP isn't contagious. It isn't a disease. So no need to worry about that affecting your outcome.
Most definitely not selling birds under the radar :) new diseases just scare me when I know nothing about them. No IC in our flock. That was a bird I kept away from my other birds during quarantine period before introducing. Glad I did because he presented extreme symptoms of IC and I culled before he got near MY birds.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better about PT. New possible diseases make me uneasy and when I read one thing on the internet about IF your birds have it that you coukd have to euthanize your entire flock my heart sank because I love my birds. The breeding and selling is my 9 yr old's passion.... :)

Most definitely not selling birds under the radar :) new diseases just scare me when I know nothing about them. No IC in our flock. That was a bird I kept away from my other birds during quarantine period before introducing. Glad I did because he presented extreme symptoms of IC and I culled before he got near MY birds.
PT is nothing to worry about... Your birds would be dead already if they had it. Get the testing done and over with.

MG and Merek's diseases are both very common and you don't want either.
Proper quarantining is extremely valuable.
Most backyard keepers don't have enough room to properly quarantine so please be very careful about bringing adult in to your flock.

Thanks everyone for making me feel better about PT. New possible diseases make me uneasy and when I read one thing on the internet about IF your birds have it that you coukd have to euthanize your entire flock my heart sank because I love my birds. The breeding and selling is my 9 yr old's passion.... :)
its the internet. like trying to self diagnose health issues for oneself, the internet is eager to offer you the worst possible possibilities, completely absent the context that chances are 1:1,000,000, 1:10,000,000, or even less...

/edit agreeing w/ Kiki about the difficulty of good quarnantine practice absent LOTS of ground. Mosquitos are usually given a range of 500-600 ft - that's between roughly 6 and 9 acres! A long ways to separate runs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom