Pucky, our Barred Rock hen is real sick... ideas?

Well, put something yummy in her food dish, a little cat food, bits of fruit or melon, bits of soft bread. Make a note of it and see if some of it isn't GONE in the morning. Also, put something tasty in her water dish. Do try the dropper though it might make her more hopeful (remember, hope is everything, even to a leetle cheeekan!
big_smile.png
). I don't know where you are keeping her but some place with partial lighting over night in case she'll eat and then just keep her warm and comfy. See if some of it isn't gone in the morning.

Yeah, my hubby gets jealous of the chickens too!
lol.png

Quote:
That's an improvement, five blueberries! Get the cat food out I'm telling you...

ok.. stupid question, but is cat food with chicken in it ok? I spent like 20 minutes at Meijer the other day looking at the catfood.. EVERY ONE has chicken in it.. Even the one that was called 'Beef Tips" only had beef broth and then chicken.. most of the beef flavors have chicken as the #1 ingredient.. so I didn't get any as it just didn't seem right to feed them chicken meat, though they do get the boiled eggs..

She doesn't seem to have any leg paralysis, but could this still be Merek's?

Now see the protein in the cat food will give her strength. If she's anemic, she needs protein.

Yes, chicken is okay. Beef might be better but give her whatever you've got. Beef, liver, chicken...

Well.. sorry to report that Pucky got worse over the night.. her head was shaking violently and uncontrollably almost nonstop.. so I didn't feel right making her suffer and.. well.. she passed about as well as a chicken can pass..

I just went through the same sort of thing with my little 7 week old Barred Rock. She was lethargic, fluffed feathers, and eyes shut tight. Long story short, I used a curved syringe to force feed her Corrid medicated water. Corrid is for coccidiosis. I was convinced she wasn't going to make it. At one point she was lying on her back with her legs spread out...she was that sick. She has now appeared to have made a full recovery. I also treated my other 5 birds for cocci even though they all appeared to be healthy. Feel free to email me if you would like more information. If you are still doing medicated feed and you decide to do Corrid, it is best to switch to unmedicated while they are on it. Good luck!
ps. The info I've provided to you was all provided to me by the lovely people on this forum. I love BYC!

JCMBINohio, I'm so sorry,
I didn't read the third page. I'm so sorry you lost her
sad.png

Hang in there...

Sorry JCM. I don't know what to think about the violent head shaking. Well, I've got a sick one I'm dealing with right now too. Hopefully we'll learn something from all of this.

Back
Top Bottom