Pueblo Grande prefab coop

I'd like to respectfully disagree. With the added run space, they should be ok on run, but if there wasn't any added run space they would be extremely cramped. The coop part looks quite small, and I don't think that there will be enough roosting space for the hens when they come to be full size. It would also be difficult to have a feeder or waterer in there, as it would take up too much space. They will be plenty comfortable when they are young, but when they reach full size I think that they will be very pressed for space.

She did say she would be free ranging...

She did say she would be free ranging...
Yes, I know. The OP said that they are putting the coop in a 10x10 run, so they should have plenty of run space anyway. The issue is the coop part. All the run space in the world won't change that all the birds go inside at night, and will be pressed for space in the actual henhouse part of the original coop. Also, a feeder takes up space, and you would want to have it in the coop to avoid rats.

I am putting the feeders outside, tube style. The dimensions of the coop part itself, just where they roost, is about 3 feet by 4 feet. We cut into one of the panels on the "run" that it came with to make a big open space. The run that we built is predator proof x100.
The coop will be fine until the hens reach their full size. Once they are full sized, you will be a bit pressed for space. You can make the call whether or not to expand the coop. Having the feeder and waterer tube style will certainly help you save space. The run is great! You won't have to change that for quite a while, even if you get more birds.

I might get my husband to enclose part of it for some more space if he is up to it. He has also caught chicken fever and watches YouTube now for all kinds of chicken ideas:p

Yes it is the dreaded soft fir. I have put some water seal on it to help it last, but we are in PNW and it rains, rains, rains. I might see if my husband will expand it and maybe clad it with a more durable wood.
I does the run that you built have a roof over part or all of it? If so, you could put the coop under a part with a roof to help with the rain issue.

Back
Top Bottom