1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puffed up is a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Qi Chicken, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I just read on someone else's thread that their roo was all puffed up in the cold weather and s/he was worried. Mine are always puffed at night and I thought it was their way of keeping warm. Does this mean they are not tolerating the cold well? It has been near 0 at night and 20's in the day. They won't go outside as there is a little bit of snow although I try to get them to. I do not have a heat lamp in there. I tried their red brooder light and it seemed to keep them up. They would be walking around at 10 pm. so I turned it off. They haven't had it for awhile.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    What people are saying is their chicken remains puffed up, even when it is wake up time. Usually the chickens is lethargic, bleary-eyed, and really not in the mood to socialize.

These "puffed up" chickens are having a hard time regulating their body-temps; usually due to illness. Kinda like when you get a fever and need a blanket to stay warm.

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    When they puff up, it helps them gain heat. It doesn't always mean they

are sick. My birds puff up at night-time, and on the colder days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by