Puffy eye

alcarl

Chirping
Feb 2, 2022
Houston, TX
Back in August we had a bout of respiratory issues due to me being a new chicken tender and practicing poor biosecurity. We treated the flock (20 hens) with Tylan powder at 2000mg/gal sole drinking supply for 5 days and everything cleared up. About a week ago we had one hen start getting a really puffy eye and another hen with some discharge from one eye. We did another round of Tylan and it hasn't seemed to help. The one with the puffy eye is the one that was hit the hardest 2 months ago and we kept in the house for a week (her name is now homechick). On good days she can open it and there doesn't seem to be any discharge, on other days it's swollen completely shut.

Should I just treat with Terramycin? I've seen others here mention it but TSC only has it for dogs. Any other recommendations?

She's a 5 month old Golden sexlink. The other hen with the crusty eye is from the same batch of 6 but the rest seem to be doing fine. Some of the older ladies had a little cough but not much more.

thumbnail.jpg

No pus in that one but another hen does have some. I took them both to the vet Friday. She diagnosed Coryza and prescribed Albon for 7 days.

I originally thought it was MG which is why I did the round of Tylan. I have not smelled them but I will tonight. I'm working on the pus, going to have to swaddle her tonight so she doesn't scratch up my wife like last time :)

I will say that the puffiness in the other birds has reduced since starting the Albon so I'm hoping we are headed in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom