pug pup and chickens...........

erin3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Coronado, CA
i am getting ready to let my 8-9 week old.......BIG......girls out to free range around the yard a little bit. the problem is my 11 month old pug pup. she is so interested in them.......not in a bad way just a "i would like to chase you around" way...... and they have NO FEAR of her..........like they would not even try to get away. i have a very bad vision of an accident happening. i will, of course, supervise them but would eventually like them to all get along together without me having to monitor everyone every minute. any tips on how to best achieve this goal?

Yes! I have a rotty male (4 years old now), a poodle, two rat terriers, an english bulldog, and a boston terrier. I was worried about the same thing. So...what I suggest, and what worked for me is; when the dogs are outside, make sure the chickens are visible, but locked up tightly in their pen. In about a month (or even less), the dogs won't even pay attention to them anymore. But if they should start chasing them, yell "no" at them and scold them really bad. With some dogs you might have to keep your chickens penned up a little longer while they are outside. And then of course their are breeds of dogs that LOVE and are Taught to chase chickens and other game, so......having one of those would not be a great idea. Its always best to raise pups with whatever you want them to get along with, but you can do it with an adult dog with a lot of patience and watching on your part.
smile.png
Good Luck!

To reinforce the dogs leaving chickens alone mindset do all your leash work while chickens are free ranging. On lead heal and other commands right in the middle of the ranging area. They become part of the surroundings and less of an attraction.

Moving this to the me, my chickens section where it will be more appropriate and get more response.

Last edited:
they are in their pen now and they stand face-to-face and the dog lunges at them.............of course cannot get them..........and they DO NOT EVEN FLINCH!!! that is what scares me.................and i yell..........oh well, i think i better wait a little longer 'til they are bigger...........bigger than her!!!

Thats about the same age our chicks were when we introduced them to our pug. He would chase them around in a circle and herd them. He has never hurt them. I hope your pug gets better. You have to admit it's really cute.

We got our pug, Stanny, when he was 11 months old. He immediately took to chasing and stalking the chickens. The chickens were all adults though. Stan still likes to wait till a group of hens gathers then run at them and cause them to scatter. He hasn't shown any interest in hurting them. I do believe it is best to supervise any animals when they are first being introduced to each other. We've had 6 different dogs during the years we've had chickens, and we've had 3 of my parents' dogs visit. We've gotten all of them to a point that we could trust them with the chickens.

PugChickenandDuck.jpg

Here we see a pug, a chicken and a duck all totally oblivious to one another. The pug is 9 and only interested in what scraps of food she can find in the pen. Maybe after yours outgrows the puppy stage, it will be safe around the birds. Mine couldn't care less.

Back
Top Bottom