Puking chicken!!!!UPDATE: Picture of something from crop/poop??

She drank some water when I was just out there with her, and afterwards she kind of burped, or I could hear a kind of rumbly noise. She was also making that this morning. Her crop still feels pretty soft and sqishy, like a water balloon, but it's probably about the size of a tennis ball, if not a bit smaller.

Sounds like a sour crop to me - you might want to "squish" the liquid out of it to give it a fresh start with whatever she may drink after that. Give the Apple Cider Vinegar in water.

Look at the sticky at the top of the page, search for "crop issues" - sounds like she is at least "sour" if not "impacted".

Good luck.
fl.gif

Hey guys, it was definitely sour crop... the liquid was really yellow and smelled like raw eggs/sulfur today. Unfortunately she died just now, poor thing. I'd had her on ACV water all day and was just getting some liquid out of her crop, and some chunks were finally starting to come up, but I think she aspirated.
sad.png
He crop turned blue suddenly, and she shook her head and started shaking a bit, then started struggling. She was also so skinny by now, too. Poor poor chick. Fortunately it all happened quickly, so hopefully she wasn't in too much pain, and now we have her buried under the lilac tree with other past chicken friends.

So sad, but I really feel I did all I could for her, I just think it had been too long until we could get just the ACV water. Ironically we found a vet with chicken experience... just as bitterly ironic, he's on vacation for 7 days. But if this happens again now we know where to start. Thank you for all your help! Her name was Amber by the way... given to her just earlier today. I hate that you get so attached to them when you're trying to keep them alive... ugh, Vet school is going to be a long hard trial of getting used to this, if I even get in.
hu.gif
But then I'll be able to help other chicken lovers out there, and not charge them tons of money, either.

Oh well, she lived two years of a pretty darn good life! Hopefully I will never have to see something like this happen to one of my birds again though...

Once again, thank you everyone for all your help!

Last edited:
Sour crop means that the food the chicken ate is either plugging the hole from the crop to the gizzard and stomach
there is lots of times large pieces of hard eatable things such as tortillia chips or large kernels of grains or wound up graaa making a hard ball

even horse hair balls
chickens eat even har objects such as nails, cartridge shells and large rocks

these will plug the crop hole and the bird just fills and nothing goes to the gizzard or gut

This causes a spoiled effect to the feed they are eating any way and will make what is call a sour crop.

Powder pigeons and chickens do this and I have operated on many and never lost a one.

Most of us can't afford a vet bill for a chicken
but with help and courage one can do most what ever you determine you can do.

so read my post on the correct crop flush and impacted crop surgery.

any questions just email me

Back
Top Bottom