Pulled out tail feathers and bleeding...

augustmomx2

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Central Indiana
So I came home from work today to check on my chickies. They are almost 2wks old and this weekend me and dh moved them to their coop, as they were outgrowing their baby pool (there are 19, supposed to be 12 girls & 7 boys). They have a red heat lamp out there and have been doing great.

What I saw shocked me...one of my gold sex-links had her tail feathers completely plucked out and a bloody mess where her feathers should be
sad.png
She is probably the smallest chick out of the bunch. She and her other gold sex-link mate are the smallest breed I have.

I have moved her to a Rubbermaid tub, w/a waterer, feed and a heat lamp into my garage. She is currently roosting on top of her waterer, after trying for over an hour to get out and finally gave up. Poor girl, I feel so bad for her, is there anything I can do? How long do I keep her separated & should I put neosporin on it, it looks so tender and raw
sad.png
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. This is my first batch of chickies and you guys are my best resource! TIA!

Mandy

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, she is finally sleeping & seems content. I feel so bad for her
sad.png
I checked on the chicks a little bit ago and they were sleeping. No others appear to have been picked...gosh I would have thought it would happen in their brooder, not in the big coop w/lots of room to roam and things to do
hmm.png

If she was still bleeding, cornstarch would do the trick. It's much cheaper than Styptic powder. Good luck with your baby!

Suzy

My Mallard duck is pulling tail feathers out of my white leghorns .Why ? and can I make him or her stop? My big white duck doesn't do it only the mallard . Some of my chickens are bleeding
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom