Pullet 21 weeks old laying soft shell eggs

Sylvia0223

Songster
Sep 8, 2021
I have a young pullet she is 21 weeks old Sapphire Gem pullet she is trying to lay her egg but it’s been 3 days of soft shell egg laying ( it’s been torn and yolk spilled in the coop) she have good layer feed with oyster shells, additional oyster shells available on the side, crushed egg shells in a feed and on the side, I even added calcium in the water. She acts, eat, poops all normal, she is active as well. It just worry me the fact that she can’t lay a normal egg. Should I separate her from other pullets ? We also have a cockerel in that coop - can he stress her out to the point that she can’t lay ? Problem is she lays over night or early morning - I find the torn soft egg in the morning at 7:15am when I open the coop. Should I put her alone for one night to see if there will be any progress ? Any advice is helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• ACD3752E-CE34-40C0-8D4B-537E4B296C6E.jpeg
    ACD3752E-CE34-40C0-8D4B-537E4B296C6E.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 75
Yes her first eggs.

Give her a little time to see if it works itself out then.

If it persists, there are ways to give a chicken an extra dose of calcium (but I don't know them myself), and if it continues to persist after that treatment you'll have to conclude that she's got a defective shell gland.

MOST pullet laying problems work themselves out in a matter of days or weeks.

Give her a little time to see if it works itself out then.

If it persists, there are ways to give a chicken an extra dose of calcium (but I don't know them myself), and if it continues to persist after that treatment you'll have to conclude that she's got a defective shell gland.

MOST pullet laying problems work themselves out in a matter of days or weeks.

I have a young pullet she is 21 weeks old Sapphire Gem pullet she is trying to lay her egg but it’s been 3 days of soft shell egg laying ( it’s been torn and yolk spilled in the coop) she have good layer feed with oyster shells, additional oyster shells available on the side, crushed egg shells in a feed and on the side, I even added calcium in the water. She acts, eat, poops all normal, she is active as well. It just worry me the fact that she can’t lay a normal egg. Should I separate her from other pullets ? We also have a cockerel in that coop - can he stress her out to the point that she can’t lay ? Problem is she lays over night or early morning - I find the torn soft egg in the morning at 7:15am when I open the coop. Should I put her alone for one night to see if there will be any progress ? Any advice is helpful. Thanks
A couple of my chickens laid a soft egg or two in the beginning. Give Her some time and see if they harden up. It may take a week or two. I am a newbie so this is completely my opinion based on what others have told me and my personal experience.

My chicken had soft shelled eggs when she started laying. I gave her crushed up eggshells. And then her eggs turned to the way they are suppose to be.

How long should one generally give a young egg layer? I have two cinnamon queens going on five months. One lays beautiful, solid, brown eggs. The other has been laying softshells for about a week that are getting consumed in the coop. The only reason I'm even asking is because it surprised me that her sister lays without issue. Thanks.

How long should one generally give a young egg layer? I have two cinnamon queens going on five months. One lays beautiful, solid, brown eggs. The other has been laying softshells for about a week that are getting consumed in the coop. The only reason I'm even asking is because it surprised me that her sister lays without issue. Thanks.
Are you feeding a lot of treats?
If so stop all and only feed the layer type feed.

She should start laying hard eggs within a week if she is eating a balanced diet with enough calcium.

Back
Top Bottom