Pullet Acting Like a Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gracefulspice, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I'm new at this chicken thing yet. Especially with my 5, 10 week olds. I'm questioning the behavior of the Buff Orp. She is much larger then the 2 RIR and 2 Jersey Giants. Also she seems to be the dominate one. I've seen her a few times run up to another and puff up her neck and stand real tall like, and kinda pounce in a way. The other will do the same behavior back at her however. Tonight I knelt down to get close to them and she ran infront of another that was coming to me to block her. Can this be normal behaivor for a 10 week old pullet, especially a Buff Orp. Or is it Rooster behavior? I know there's a pecking order and all but I've always heard of how docile Buff Orps are and it kinda surprised me.

I've included a pic of her when she was approx 9 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I think they are just estabilishing pecking order. I have 3 ten week olds. 1 pullet and 2 roo's and they all do this. I think the pullet does it the worst. She will even do this to me if I try to grab her.

I think she just wants to be the top chick. [​IMG]

Thought I might add she looks like a she to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by