pullet ailing, recent onset, feedback please

lcwmt

Songster
Jun 16, 2017
N Central MT
Patsy: almost 9 month old Buff Orp, had been laying almost daily until our temperatures and daylight took a nose dive. Until 3 days ago she was active, roosting at night, eating, drinking, eliminating.

Two days ago we noticed she was huddled, head into the corner. We thought this might be to stay warmer. Yesterday she hadn't moved but responded when she was offered food.

This morning it is 10 degrees warmer, she hadn't moved at all, was not interested in the food I took out.
I picked her up and immediately brought her indoors.

Her posture was and remains huddled into herself, head and tail down, feathers fluffed out.
There is no evidence she has been picked at or attacked.
Her legs dangle...
Her breathing is slightly labored. Eyes seem clear.
Her tail end/vent area is crusty looking (very pale to clear fluid), perhaps there is some swelling, and feather damage.
The area where she's been laying in the coop has similar, pale fluid frozen to the straw.
When picked up she feels significantly light. Her crop is empty. We have not checked for egg binding yet.

Right now she is in a small dog carrier, with appropriate bedding, next to the pellet stove in the living room.
I have given her about 3 cc Nutridrench via a dropper, have tried water with no success (am reluctant to force too much, don't want her to aspirate anything). She is not interested in yogurt or food right now.

My plan is to let her warm up then do an epsom salt bath and a more thorough physical exam after the goop cleans off. I'll get photos then if it seems appropriate.

My gut instinct is that she is not going to make it but I'm willing to do what I can to help, at the very least keep her comfortable.
The sort of local Vet that will see chickens is an hour away, it is the holidays and our highways are iced. Driving conditions are not good.
The only Poultry Vet in state is about 250 miles away...those aren't very good options right now.

Our little flock is currently 3 Buff Orps, 2 EE, 1 Banty, all the same age and brooded together. Everyone is lively, eating drinking, pooping ( a lot!). Egg production is way down - cold temps very short days but we get 2-5 eggs a week. Very minimal pecking at each other, mostly jockeying for food or roost space.

The coop is 4x6x6, uninsulated, no supplemental light or heat. They have 15' of roost space with several elevations, well below the eaves but also above the two nesting boxes.
Ventilation 7" x 6' along the tops of both North and South walls with a baffle on the North opening - because - wind.
We monitor the indoor and outdoor temp and humidity - all is on track there.

Attached run: 4'x10'x6' with pop door from coop. Heated dog water dish in run, along with feeders.
The chickens have the option of free ranging but are not interested when it is close to 0.
There's no indication of mites or unusual worm load (Montana, ! we don't have some of the issues other parts of the country deal with) No sign of frostbite or predator activity.

We'd been free feeding 18% All Flock crumble, with OS and occasional BOSS. With the extreme cold I've begun changing the food to 18% Grower (incidentally a soy free/corn free regionally produced feed)... right now we are at almost 50/50 mix of the two feeds. The change in feed seems welcomed and there's not as much being billed out. Minimal treats (mostly leftover cooked grains), no scratch.

To recap my plan:
*Continue with a little nutridrench by dropper until she's taken the suggested dosage, also add a little to the water dish.
*Try water by dropper but don't force it.
*Keep about 1T yogurt available. When /if she acts interested, offer warm mash made with her regular feed.
***In a couple of hours give an Epsom salt bath to clean her up and make an exam easier.

Questions: what am I missing? I'll check for egg binding and injuries/swelling, masses...

What other course of action might I take? Not knowing if she has some sort of infection, I am reluctant to add an antibiotic, assuming I could even get one here... Is that something I should consider?
I do have a good chicken health guide. Between that and this forum there's a lot of info... Sometimes experienced folks can jump right to the sweet spot.
TIA for whatever insight or suggestions you might make.
laura

Thank you for your time! Made a quick trip to town, when I got home Patsy had died.

The only necropsy lab in the state works with tissue samples so figuring out cause isn't likely. We are not predisposed to try it ourselves...

I *was* going to ask about the most humane way to euthanize... really the only other thing to say is I'd expected losses but thought they'd be earlier and predator or pet related.

one thing I learned - duh!-
I had considered culling when necessary and had that covered, I thought. There are quite a few folks who would do the honors in order to invite a chick to dinner or freezer camp.

I had accepted that some chickens would die; predators, illness, mis-adventures, old age.

Although, over the years, and hard as it was, I have helped dogs and cats on their way, I had not considered this with the chickens. Turns out that absent a Vet, it is not all that easy.
When I had chickens before, this was not an issue... they were quite mature when i adopted them and stayed with the property when I moved on.

Now I must accept that euthanasia will be part of keeping chickens and figure out the most humane way for *me* to assist when and if it is time. easy - no. necessary and a part of life -yes.

Back
Top Bottom