Pullet almost prolapsing - egg bound or ??

Lisa3315

Songster
Feb 20, 2021
Placer County, California
I have a Wyandotte pullet (18/19 weeks) that is probably close to laying, and I just noticed a couple of times that she has pooped but then kind of stayed frozen in place and continues to contract or something (?) and it looks like she might prolapse. She's moving around just fine, jumping, walking, foraging, and pooping, but then this a couple times. Is this a normal thing new layers do before they lay their first egg, or should I be concerned?
I took a video, this is the link to the youtube

Are you feeding layer feed and do you have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container from feed? I would insert a lubricated clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or constipation. Hens can have a momentary prolapse that goes back inside when laying or trying to lay an egg. You could try giving her a human calcium tablet to help her muscle contractions. She might be just fine, and getting ready to lay, but I don’t really know for sure.

Are you feeding layer feed and do you have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container from feed? I would insert a lubricated clean finger into her vent to check for a stuck egg or constipation. Hens can have a momentary prolapse that goes back inside when laying or trying to lay an egg. You could try giving her a human calcium tablet to help her muscle contractions. She might be just fine, and getting ready to lay, but I don’t really know for sure.
I'm not feeding layer feed, but I did (only just yesterday though) put out a feeder of crushed up eggshells for them. We have hard water that's really high in calcium, so it's not like they haven't been getting any calcium, but maybe not as much as they should have been? I'll try the calcium tablet, I'll have to go to the store tonight to get them. To be honest, I'm pretty anxious about checking her vent, but I'll work up some courage to do it.

I had a constipated silkie hen the other day. She was so backed up, & straining so much she prolapsed a few times.

At first I was concerned about egg binding, checked for an egg, but there was nothing. I did give her a Calcium Citrate tablet just in case though.

I treated her constipation with watered down molasses. It got to work really fast, & she is no longer constipated. She had a messy bottom afterwards though. Sharing what I went through with a constipated hen.

I agree what Eggcessive says.

Sounds normal.

Okay, let us know what you feel, whether there's an egg, or not?
Still working up the courage to check her vent, but I did just watch her poop all of this. It looks a little dry, but there is quite a bit of it.
20210623_192941.jpg

Still working up the courage to check her vent, but I did just watch her poop all of this. It looks a little dry, but there is quite a bit of it.
View attachment 2732426
Dry stools can cause constipation.

I didn't hesitate to check my hen for an egg, because I was concerned for her.

Back
Top Bottom