Pullet behavior questions.

RhodeIslandRed5

Songster
May 28, 2019
East Texas
Hello all! First, this not an emergency. My pullet in question isn't sick or anything, this is a, 'why does she do that' thing. First let me describe her. She is 6 months old, not laying yet. Her name is Crybaby. Strange name, I know, but I started calling her that when she was a baby fuzzball and would peep constantly and annoyingly while snuggling with her sisters. The name still goes because now she is a total coward. Very flighty. She screams and tries her hardest to get away from me when I try to get her. But when I get her, and baby talk her, she can make the sweetest, cutest cooing noises. Weird, right? I've noticed that she has the largest wattles and comb of my four, and I actually questioned if she could be a cock, because she is also the heftiest. I can't see her being so though, because her tail is too short.
IMG_20190910_081524.jpg
IMG_20190910_081538.jpg

Ok, here's the first question: In the early morning, while I'm still in bed, all of a sudden, I'll hear Crybaby squawking. Awk-awk-awk-awk!!! I know it's her, I recognize her voice. It's not a scared squawk, more like an alert, because she can do it rather loudly. I was wondering if maybe she's trying to crow? Will a pullet be the wake-up call for the rest of the flock if there is no rooster? She stops when I get up and enter the room; maybe is she trying to call me?

Question two: Sometimes when I pick up Crybaby and try to snuggle her, she pees or let's out this mostly liquid poo on me like a toad or frightened puppy. I've never had a chicken do that. I don't squeeze her to make her do that, it's like she's so scared of being caught! Has anyone had similar situations?

Your pullet is maturing and probably getting close to laying. They often become more vocal during that time.

Chickens are prey animals. They don't like to be grabbed or held. Their defenses when grabbed is to defecate, or drop feathers, which happens when they are frightened. I personally don't hold my birds unless it's necessary. Most do not enjoy it.

Thank-you for responding! I see; well, I guess I don't understand her flightiness since my others are easier to handle. I can pick them up and give gentle hugs or carry them without them screaming or struggling like she does.

Thank-you for responding! I see; well, I guess I don't understand her flightiness since my others are easier to handle. I can pick them up and give gentle hugs or carry them without them screaming or struggling like she does.
Some humans enjoy hugs, I personally do not. Same with chickens. As @aart stated they are all individuals.

I know chickens differ, all my girls have an interesting personality, and voices. One fusses, one squeals, one has a squeaky grunt, and Crybaby screams. :gig
@oldhenlikesdogs you don't like to be hugged? I don't mind being hugged; it's

Whoops. Phone's acting up. Anyway, it's kisses I can't stand.
It does depend who's doing the hugging. :) Husband, yes, everyone else, don't touch me please.

Back
Top Bottom