Pullet Brooder Help!

Ilovemyladies!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Hills of Kentucky
So I am thinking about purchasing some chicks this upcoming March. I had a couple last year. Let's make a long story short and say that I put them out with the older chickens too early and they met their fate
hit.gif
It was my own fault... But the one good thing was only two out of eight survived by playing "dead"!!!
gig.gif
So my problem is that I only have 3 (1 wk-10 wk) wooden brooder cages, fitting only a couple chicks each. Then I have my big coop with my 12 older, meaner chickens (3 roosters & 9 hens) Sidenote: Don't worry about too many roosters b/c one is a teeny-weeny banty! Back to my problem.....I don't have a "Teenager" Pen. I am thinking of building one with '2 by '4's and chicken wire to place inside my barn or one with plywood so they can go outside and get fresh air. I need some help with planning, construction, and placement. Outside or Inside?? Plywood or '2 by '4's??? What have y'all used and what is the cheapest but best quality way to build. Also how big should it be for about 6 (12-18 wks) chickens?? Help please!!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

-Shannon
smile.png

Your chickens must be mean!
I put my 2 week old babies in the pen and the big girls give them a stare and just walk by, You can build a pen for them, I don't really put much attention into introducing teens with the big girls, If they do get picked, I section off a part of a pen with some chicken wire. Then after a couple of hours,let them out. Usually my hens leave them alone, but my hens jump up on my lap and sleep in my arms...Maybe my chickens are friendlier than yours? lol.

I have a mean hen too, but my roo loves babies. For their safety I did put the teens in a rabbit cage for now. It's plenty big, I had my flemish giants in it. I added a perch to it and on cold nights I stick a heatlight on them. I may just give the hen to a friend and put the babies with my roo, since there is only 1 of her and 3 teens and 4 little guys in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom